Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

beer drinking plant?

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by bass__player01, Nov 4, 2004.

1. Ok, here's the situation. Me and a few friends decided to test how long a normal green plant would survivre if we gave it only beer. (that's the kind of stuff we do.... don't know why :rollno: )

anyway, its been 2 months now, and it seems in perfect shape... I know beer contains water but i though it would kill the plant... do you think it will keep surviving for long? or maybe become a plant with super powers? or maybe its now addicted to alcool....

alright... Maybe I have to much freetime :rolleyes:

2. this is going to sound a bit dumb, but what kind of beer are you "beering" your plant with?

3. Don't know if you can find this in united states... we've got molson dry, labatt blue... almost any kind we can find the morning after the partys..... let's say its a "multiplebeerdrinkingplant"....

4. DigMe

DigMe

Aug 10, 2002
    Waco, TX
    Some people come up with brains that fly flight simulators...you come up with a plant that drinks beer. Good job.

brad cook

5. People who care about plants might become infuriated about this.

What kind of plant are we talking about? You should get more and try other beverages.I wanna' see how milk compares.

6. No idea what kind of plant it might be.... lets call it a green plant :p

Oh and I doubt its because of the beer, but this plant is almost never exposed to the sun..... do you think plants fed with beer don't need sun anymore?? :eek:

7. Sonorous

Sonorous

Oct 1, 2003
    Denton, TX
    Try giving it everclear.

8. What's everclear??

9. Simple. That plant is obviously Australian.

We thrive on Alcohol.. in fact if we dont recieve a daily dosage. We would all die out within 3 months tops.

10. same for me, i'm a college student :p

11. Australian men.

:D

12. dave_clark69

dave_clark69 Guest

Jan 17, 2003
    I wonder if by doing that and keeping it in its own little habitat with bee's to polenate it, you could make the plant evolve to not need to have Xylem. It will have Bones to keep it upright! How funny would that be; little plant bones
    :p

OH yeh. What about putting loads of sugar and starch in the plant pot, or maybe Glucose. That would mean photosynthesis would not need to take place, meaning the plant will become full up with too much excess water, meaning it would pop.

13. Steph you sure your 100% Aussie?

14. She's from SA...that says it all.

Leigh

15. what dont they drink out there? :eyebrow: common girl get with the program..

everyone on the east coast is drunk of their ass at this very moment. :D

16. She may not be the nicest person in the world, but calling her common is a bit harsh. *Reads biker thread* Nah, maybe not. Cheers to that! :D

Leigh

17. common girl? no way, not steph..

obviously i can't spell... and should be come on girl..

sorry bout that people :)

18. Matthew Bryson

Matthew Bryson Guest

Jul 30, 2001
    Are you sure that it's a real plant? You might be "beering" a fake plastic plant.
    :eyebrow:

19. DigMe

DigMe

Aug 10, 2002
    Waco, TX
    That would be fitting...a bunch of drunks freaking out about how great their beer-fed plant is doing...only to realize it's plastic.

brad cook

20. dlloyd

dlloyd zzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

Apr 21, 2004
    Scotland
    More info is needed.

What sort of plant is it? Post a photo if you don't know.

What's it planted in? Peaty compost will tend to absorb the alcohol.

The fact that it's morning after beer will help... fizzy beer has a lower pH... that would kill it quicker.