1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Beer expert's chime in..Bottle's or Can's?

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by Bobbo 77", Jun 14, 2007.

1. Órale Muchacho's,
    Afficionado's, does REAL beer only come in bottle's? Do you only drink your favorite's in bottle form or are they just as satisfying in can's? :confused:
    Bobbo 77'

2. Raum

Raum

Jun 13, 2007
    Cans ruin the taste as far as I'm concerned. If you drink a lot of pop it's probably harder to notice, but you can taste it. I can't think of any beers I really like off the top of my head that come in cans.

3. I like cans. Bottles hurt too much when I smash the empties on my forehead.

Actually, the reason I prefer cans is that they don't recycle glass around here.

4. seanm

seanm I'd kill for a Nobel Peace Prize! Supporting Member

Feb 19, 2004
    Ottawa, Canada
    I prefer .... both!

All right, be honest, who didn't see that coming :rollno: I am so predictable when it comes to beer.

I only drink Guinness from cans or on tap. The bottles of Guinness are nasty here in Canada.

I also drink Old Speckled Hen from cans, because that is what The Beer Store(tm) sells. Don't mind it at all.

Almost all other beer I drink from bottles. In fact, I have some Heritage Brewing Traditional Dark in stubbies! Non-twistoff stubbies at that. :hyper:

5. It's easy.

REAL beer is in bottles.

If you lick a glass, it doesn't have any taste, if ou lick a can, it tastes like tin.

6. Jonny B

Jonny B

Nov 5, 2006
    WI
    Bottles.

7. Aaron Saunders

Aaron Saunders

Apr 27, 2002
    Ontario
    Draught.

Bottles otherwise. If I have to buy cans, I pour them into a glass which solves a lot of the problem.

That said, Guinness out of the bottle is swill. Draught or poured from a can into a glass.

8. gkbass13

gkbass13 Supporting Member

Mar 29, 2006
    New York
    if you lick the openign to a can you will cut your tongue...

i always prefer bottles even though i poor my beer into glasses anyways before drinking.

as a college student i wind up driking a lot of cheap stuff at parties, in thsi case i prefer pabst blue ribbon(over keystone, busch or natty light).

one of my favorite domestic brews is yuengling traditional, which sometimes is better in cans as it comes in green bottles and when stores mishandle green bottled beer it can get skunky.

in the end i always prefer bottles though.

9. ibnzneksrul

ibnzneksrul

Feb 2, 2007
    So Cal
    Bottles. Aluminum tastes like robot poop.

10. I live in the Maritimes of Canada, I don't yet have the luxery of "canned" beverages. Pop or beer comes in bottles, and I drink Schooner, and will continue to do so out of a bottle until it's physically impossible to anymore.

11. sb69coupe

sb69coupe

Aug 9, 2004
    Raleigh NC
    One of the head brewers from Anheuser-Busch answered this exact question when he spoke to a graduating class from the Seibel Brewing Institute back around 1994. He was asked whether he preferred drinking his own beers from bottles or cans. He stated that he preferred cans. When asked to expand, he replied "I find that bottles impart a 'glassy' taste that I don't like".

12. Trevor.A

Trevor.A

Jan 2, 2005
    Lubbock, TX
    Cheap beer in cans. You can't really tell the difference, and it's less expensive and easier to carry. But if you're buying anything better, get bottles.

13. Definitely bottles. I've never had a good beer from a can, and definitely can't think of one that would top a good quality microbrew or especially a Belgian ale. My favorite beers tend to come in large, 750 ml bottles topped with a cork, or from a keg of homebrew.

14. Real beer comes in barrels. Failing that, bottles will do (especially bottle-conditioned). Cans are for emergency use only - I've heard horror stories from ex brewery workers about what beer did to aluminium barrels, so tinnies are best avoided IMO.

Pete.

15. Plus it's fun to smash bottles on your forehead, not as fun with cans.
    Bottles = instant knife if needed on the walk home.
    Bottles are better for "cheers"ing someone.

16. Aaron Saunders

Aaron Saunders

Apr 27, 2002
    Ontario
    Todd, a friend of mine from school this past year was from PEI and, apparently before coming to school, had never seen or tasted Guinness. He said they didn't have it in PEI.

When we all went out to the pub (a couple months after being there) he had his first taste of it and was HOOKED. Being that he's underage (18) I was at least present (if not the purchaser) for a very significant amount of his beer at least for the first term and I can vouch that he never bought it while at school before that night at the pub, whereas after it was *the beer* for him. As such I don't think he was joking around about it...he'd honestly never had it before. What's the deal? Do you guys have Guinness or what?

EDIT: Even more strange because another good friend of mine was from Newfoundland and was a Guinness nut.

17. That's a PEI thing. ;)

We have cans in the rest of the maritimes.

18. jsbass

jsbass

Sep 3, 2006
    WI
    Beer goes like this.

Free > Tap > Bottle > Can

:D

19. Jazzin'

Jazzin' ...Bluesin' and Funkin'

Bottles any day of the week.

20. Bottles! You don't see adds for Corona on a tropical beach with the people chilling cans!!!!;) The "cheaper" beers are in cans; the "real" beers come in bottles...check out the shelves in your store.:)

21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Mar 7, 2021