Beer Keg Reverb Tank

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by CodeYbassboy, Dec 18, 2005.

1. So I was browsing around guitargeek and I saw this guy's rig:

How does the beer keg reverb tank work? More to the point, how would a guy make one of his own?
  2. bongomania

bongomania Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Oct 17, 2005
    PDX, OR
    owner, OVNIFX and OVNILabs
    You would probably just apply two piezo discs to the top of the keg: one for input, one for output. Alternately, you could drop a small speaker into the keg for input, or a microphone into it for output.
  3. do something like this, except instead of the plywood box, use the keg as the resonating chamber.

Do-It-Yourself Projects

An Article from Home Recording Connection -

Build your own spring reverb
    Nov 21, 2003 -
    Need a cool reverb sound? Or just bored? This is a cheap and easy project to add a weird vibe to anything you run through it.

What you need:

Some plywood
    A saw
    Start by cutting out 6 pieces of plywood that will fit together make a rectangle.

On the two end pieces cut circles. One and should be just big enough to fit a microphone into, the other big enough to point a speaker into.

Build the rectangle box, leaving the top off, attach the hooks inside the rectangle and attach the springs to them, put on top piece and hinge it so you can open and close to add/remove springs

Point speaker of sound source into the hole on one end, and put a mic in the other hole.

4. That would be quite interesting to try. You can get really cool sounds out of spring reverb amps by sitting on them and jumping or kicking them, these kinda spacey echo sounds. A friend of mine and me often use it in the background of drums tracks to give it some ambience, very nice :)
  5. it'd be fun to try that with all sorts of materials...i'd like to try a beer bottle or a old water tank...
  6. Petary791

Feb 20, 2005
    Michigan, USA
    So that's why when we kicked my friends amp it made ridiculous sounds... :hyper:
  7. Yeah its the spring rattling around :)
  8. fenderx55

Jan 15, 2005
    Heineken and coors make 1 gallon mini-kegs... thank you for finally giving me an excuse to buy one. :hyper:

Let's say I wanted to do this with my spare time over break... what kind of piezo discs specifically would I need? How would that set up work?
  9. bongomania

bongomania Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Oct 17, 2005
    PDX, OR
    owner, OVNIFX and OVNILabs
    See if you can find piezos at least 1" diameter (larger may be better in this context). Industrial surplus places are a good source. These guys usually have them. You may have to extract the disc itself from inside a metal or plastic housing- be careful not to crimp/damage the disc trying to get it out. Piezos work both as pickups and as speakers. Strip both wires of one end of an instrument cable; solder one wire to the top of the outer brass ring of a piezo, and solder the other wire to the top of the inner white area. Voila! Contact mic or mini speaker. Make one of each. You want to affix the non-soldered face of the piezo as securely as you can to a flat surface of the keg. A thin layer of epoxy is best, but you can use duct tape or anything else that will hold the disc in place, as long as the disc does not get bent. Double-sided foam tape will NOT work, because the vibrations won't transmit well through foam.

So now you have a keg with two regular guitar plugs extending from it, ready to insert in your effects loop (anywhere after a preamp will do). Fun!
  10. fenderx55

Jan 15, 2005
    sweeeeeeeeeeeeeeeet. Thanks, if I actually get around to it I'll post pictures.