Beer packed in a stuffed squirrel

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by D M C, Dec 3, 2016.

Tags:
  1. D M C

D M C Oh good god, this again? Supporting Member

Feb 19, 2015
    North America, Earth
    For only $750 per 11 oz. bottle.

Copyright © , The Columbus Dispatch, All rights reserved.
    SUPERMARKETS / OHIO

Article_002.png
    Kroger plans lottery to sell 25 bottles of Utopias

Article_001.png
    By JD Malone The Columbus Dispatch

true
    Central Ohio Kroger stores have in hand 25 bottles of Samuel Adams' Utopias, a beer that is 28 percent alcohol by volume and has been aged for 22 years, and will hold a lottery for the chance to buy the rare, $189 brew.

Utopias has never been sold in Ohio because of the state's longtime ban on beers above 12 percent alcohol by volume. That cap was lifted this year.

Utopias was first released in 2002 and is sold in very small quantities. The beer ages for 22 years in wooden barrels and is not carbonated. It reportedly tastes more like a port or sherry wine than a beer and is best at room temperature. The bottles are 24 ounces in size.

Utopias is hardly the most expensive beer made, although it likely is the most expensive available in Ohio at this time.

BrewDog may challenge that next year.

The Scottish craft brewer, which is building a brewery and headquarters in Canal Winchester, makes a Belgian ale called The End of History that is 55 percent alcohol by volume and comes packed in a stuffed squirrel.

BrewDog plans to make the beer here early next year to celebrate completion of the $30 million project, although only folks who invested more than $20,000 in BrewDog's crowdfunding scheme, Equity for Punks, will get their hands on an 11-ounce bottle valued at $750 apiece.

The Utopias raffle will run through Dec. 10 at 21 area Kroger stores. Winners of the raffle will be selected Dec. 10 at 5 p.m. and will have 48 hours to purchase the beer.

People can register at many central Ohio Kroger stores. [email protected]

2. bholder

bholder Affable Sociopath Gold Supporting Member Supporting Member

Sep 2, 2001
    Vestal, NY
    Received a gift from Sire* (see sig)
    Mmmm. I have 4 bottles of Utopias left that I'm saving. For what, I'm not sure. May have to break one out tonight, thanks for the reminder!

I'll pass on the dead squirrel though. I don't see how 55% can be called beer, it must be distilled somehow (then again, Utopias is distilled in a sense too). I mean, even port wine and champagne yeasts top out around 15%....

Last edited: Dec 3, 2016
  3. knumbskull

knumbskull

Jul 28, 2007
    UK
    Ah, Brewdog. Never shy on the old publicity front.

They do make some tasty beers of the more traditional type, quite US-influenced (heavy hopped IPAs etc). If you like that kind of thing.

EDIT nothing wrong with Bud Lite Magnum either.

4. This is backwards. Usually you drink beer while shooting and killing squirrels.

* A joke about what very stupid people do.*
    **(DO NOT EVER THINK ABOUT TAKING A DRINK OR EVEN A SIP OF ALCOHOL WHEN NEAR A FIREARM.)**

/\/\3phist0, Tbone76 and BboogieXVII like this.
  5. two fingers

two fingers Opinionated blowhard. But not mad about it. Gold Supporting Member

Feb 7, 2005
    Eastern NC USA
    I shoot better when I'm drunk. Lighten up. :thumbsup:

6. Some subjects require a disclaimer. :smug:

squirrel%20beer.jpg

drunk-squirrel.jpg

knumbskull, tangentmusic and D M C like this.
  7. BboogieXVII

BboogieXVII

Feb 4, 2013
    jammin
    I'm not an expensive beer drinker, but if I could win a free one I'd be all for it!

8. I tried drinking beer out of a squirrel once.

It didn't end well.

Mktrat, kobass and tangentmusic like this.
  9. D M C

Feb 19, 2015
    North America, Earth
    I can safely say that I will never knowingly drink a beer that costs more than $1 an ounce.

Edit: I am unable to imagine a squirrel as packaging. Are Scottish squirrels better suited for such a purpose than North American squirrels?

10. What color are they going to use?
    Do they realize that just like our people we have many colors?

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSrRc4r-1peEZwSABXFX_wuZbmcdfx3hLo9vKya_QL-tI9sxOThGA.jpg

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTLuMUXXBCAn3U-zKnAnFExLCYBxPujooYCHkVhF7cgIhdWCxmMxw.jpg

BlackSquirrel.jpg

upload_2016-12-3_18-51-9.jpeg

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRsdGIH828Sk8Uvf45Ks4dwQ7xcKVEqUI7O5dXIoEfXC-t0cDDH.jpg

5114535159_3e37bc199c.jpg

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcT0j5-vxbLOXf38AEYAE2ilYkwoaKPS4PTKwHki4QIi4oDn37G_6A.jpg

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSP5zsJoBZcaGFLsl8KeEJ6ylm7pTaYhzA6L8M9DiwXX0SUHr-M.jpg

11. hbarcat

hbarcat Supporting Member

Aug 24, 2006
    Rochelle, Illinois
    I've sampled Utopias twice. The first time was at the occasion of a friend's wedding and the beer tasted like a very sweet brandy. Not like beer at all but an enjoyable drink. I wouldn't pay ridiculous money like that, though. Not worth it, in my opinion.

I had another glass of Utopias when my brother got married. It tasted stale and sour because beer doesn't age well once it's been bottled. It isn't like wine or other spirits where it can sit for years and only get better. This bottle was from an older release and it had been sitting in the bottle for about 8 years. It was not enjoyable at all.

If you buy a bottle of it, make sure you drink it within 3-4 years of the bottling date.

On a similar note, Sam Adams used to brew a triple bock that was the world's most alcoholic beer in the 90's. I've had a bottle of that at least a dozen times and it tastes amazing when it's fairly new. I had saved a few bottles for aging and that was a mistake. Those bottles that I'd aged for more than 5 years turned to crap and tasted like a thick soy sauce.

P.S.

I've been a homebrewer since 1986 and have brewed several high alcohol beers that I intended to age in the bottle. The same thing happened to them. Everyone who had some within the first year or two thought they tasted wonderful. After 3 years they started to get stale and after more than 5 years in the bottle, they were undrinkable and were dumped down the sink.

D M C likes this.
  12. D M C

Feb 19, 2015
    North America, Earth
    How silly of me not to go to their web site. 4E46FFE8-73C2-45E9-B9F7-6A93CEA9E2ED-13731-00001C7BD29C7D2F_tmp.jpg

S-Bigbottom likes this.
  13. Until the photo I thought it was all just a tall tail.

14. bholder

Sep 2, 2001
    Vestal, NY
    Hmmm, you say that like it's a bad thing. :roflmao: (I like soy sauce, actually, but not in my beer.)

15. moles

moles

Jan 24, 2007
    Winnipeg, MB
    I really thought this was going to be a thread on sneaking beer into venues that won't provide for the band. ... :D

16. bholder

Sep 2, 2001
    Vestal, NY
    I'll be upset if my aged Utopias all tastes like soy sauce. :(

17. mellowinman

mellowinman Free Man

Oct 19, 2011
    Minneapolis
    That's the most messed up thing I've read in awhile.

18. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

May 18, 2022