1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Bees!!!

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by Josh Ryan, Aug 21, 2007.

1. Josh Ryan

Josh Ryan - that dog won't hunt, Monsignor. Supporting Member

Mar 24, 2001
    Ok, so Sunday I'm out in the yard with the kids, when suddenly they both come running and crying and screaming. Turns out they had a confrontation with some bees that decided to live under a stump in my yard. The kids said the bees were bothering them while they were playing so they started whacking them with sticks. I had to laugh a little.

I think they learned the obvious and somewhat painful lesson there.

Anyway, how do I get rid of the bees?

Killing them is fine with me, unless there is an easy way to move them somewhere out of my yard.

Wasp spray did nothing. Gas is too dangerous because of the location.
    I'm within city limits so all the fun options are out.

2. CapeBass

CapeBass Guest

I was about to suggest a shotgun with #9 shot but being in city limits that's out! Wasp killer did nothing? Put a bucket over it and starve the little pricks :)

I got stung by yellowjackets a month ago while on a ladder behind my garage, I can't get stung either, my face, neck and upper chest swelled up about an inch.

3. Josh Ryan

Mar 24, 2001
    I thought about the shotgun a little, but I like not being in jail and having my stuff impounded! :smug::p

Luckily there are no allergies to contend with, though I here it can take a few stings. None in the family though so I'm hoping nothing comes of it.

4. Fire is the only answer, obviously.

5. CapeBass

CapeBass Guest

I used to get stung a lot at work and laugh it off (land surveyor) but after more than 20 years on the job getting stung my chemistry changed so now I have strong local reactions, which will lead to becoming allergic. Soon I'll have to carry around one of those Epi-pens so I don't croak.

6. irjason

irjason In Memoriam

Nov 17, 2001
    Louisville, KY
  7. Hmmmm,

[​IMG]
    +
    [​IMG]
    =
    [​IMG]

Just a thought.
    I would call city hall first though.

8. Indiana Mike

Indiana Mike

Nov 18, 2005
    if they are honeybees please don't kill them .

they are threatened right now and agriculture depends on them .

if they are honeybees you should be able to find a beekeeper who will remove them for free.

if they are wasps ??? , I hate them , i was stung 70+ times in one incident by wasps when I was 8 years old

9. Fontaine

Fontaine

Apr 27, 2006
    raid?

i find they annihilate the flys in under 3 seconds!

10. Are they honey bees?

11. Supertanker

Supertanker Watch the dog! He is trained to bite!

Jun 23, 2005
    CinCinNati
    [​IMG]
    I had a wasp nest near my front door.

I waited until about 10 PM, went out and blasted em with this stuff from Home Depot.

There were no survivors...:crying:

12. Go in after dark when they're asleep and use raid on them.

*What supertanker said.

13. marcray

marcray

Nov 28, 2006
    Englishman in Oyster Bay, NY
    Aging Former Bass Player
    +1 what he said said... and if they're threatened, we're threatened... hives are empty, get somebody to come get them, apparently they'll thank you.

14. CapeBass

CapeBass Guest

minigun.

15. CapeBass

CapeBass Guest

16. Josh Ryan

Mar 24, 2001
    I was told they are "ground bees". Are those honey bees?

I'll check out the links. Explosives are mighty tempting, but the neighbors would be pissed.

17. I have never heard the name ground bees, but they could possibly be bumble bees, seeing they spend a lot of time low to the lawn.
    This is interesting;
    http://hercules.users.netlink.co.uk/Bee.html

18. flakeh

flakeh Banned

Apr 21, 2007
    Ontario, Canada
    We had a massive bee swarm in my backyard in an apple tree. There is a daycare behind us, And the bees were stinging the kids and all this bad stuff. The daycare owner payed my brother and i 100$ each to remove it. We cut the branch it was on down, put it in a bag, drove outta town, then torched it. Those bastards will never come back.

19. Indiana Mike

Indiana Mike

Nov 18, 2005
    if you end up killing them , do it at night as they are not nearly as active as they are during the day .

I know this from a bad experience and reading about it.