Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Beethoven Syndrome!

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by Gabu, Apr 29, 2004.

1. Yes, I would continue to play.

62.5%
  2. No, I would not play if I couldn't hear the music.

37.5%
  1. Gabu

Gabu

Jan 2, 2001
    Lake Elsinore, CA
    Here is something I thought of today, and I am curious how people will respond to it... If you woke up deaf tomorrow, but still able to play... would you?

2. I voted no. I dont think i would play bass anymore if i couldn't hear. To me, bass is mostly about grooving and meshing with others. Something that would put a lot of burden on others if I couldn't hear. The first thing I would do is learn how to read lips well (i would probably cry first, but yeah). Then I would probably start piano again, and maybe take up classical guitar. I would probably be too scared to play anything original, at least for a while, and there's no shortage of other people's music to play, so that's probably what I would do.

3. By-Tor

By-Tor

Apr 13, 2000
    Sacramento, CA
    I think I would.

My theory is, while I would be deaf, other senses would be enhanced.
    Possibly feel the difference in vibrations of various notes and be able to play by that.

4. I would die trying to play! If you knew the songs already it would be eaisier, all you would need is a set list, then watch the drummers hats for the quarters, then wait for the evil eyes when you screw something up :D

5. Josh Ryan

Josh Ryan - that dog won't hunt, Monsignor. Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 24, 2001
    i have no idea. I hope I never find out.

6. Tom Crofts

Tom Crofts

Mar 15, 2001
    That's a grim, grim thought.

I put no, otherwise I might be tempting fate...

7. Gabu

Gabu

Jan 2, 2001
    Lake Elsinore, CA
    I decided no also... I hate to be so selfish, but I wouldn't bake pies just to watch other people to eat them, either.

I guess I am in the music biz to entertain myself. ;)

8. Perfect-Tommy

Perfect-Tommy

Mar 28, 2004
    Ohio
    I voted yes because it's my living. If I could get disability, maybe I would quit.

9. I voted no. I started playing because I wanted to have fun, and without being able to hear what I'm playing, where's the fun?

10. I think I could, but it would be different. I'd keep playing for the sake of feeling the bass and what it does for me, but playing with a band would take a much more theoretical perspective. It would heavily depend on theory and less on hearing.

11. Benjamin Strange

Benjamin Strange Commercial User

Dec 25, 2002
    New Orleans, LA
    Owner / Tech: Strange Guitarworks
    GAH!! I just had a dream about this very thing this morning! :bag:

I would definitely give up music. No point in playing if you can't hear yourself. I would sell off all my gear, and travel the world like David Carradine in Kung Fu.

12. ldiezman

ldiezman

Jul 11, 2001
    Nashville
    I had a discussion in one of My speech Path. classes a few weeks ago as to whether we would rather be deaf or blind. The majority of the class said they would rather be deaf than blind, but If I actually had to choose one, i would rather be blind. Without hearing, I would loose everything i've worked for these past years.

If I were deaf though, I think I would stop playing bass, i doubt I would get enjoyment out of it...

13. Thor

Thor Moderator Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Sure, I'd join k0rN !

14. Yes! Give me a lead sheet, let me have eye contact with the band, (and I already feel my bass as much as I hear it), maybe a little known fact: Pete Townshend was near-total deafness years ago, he was equipped with very expensive in-ear monitors to aid him a bit, and he went right on jamming!
    I guess I play bass, cause it's what I do, Im not much good, nor interested in doing anything else....so Id have to go on playing. :D

15. andrewd

andrewd

Sep 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    well id probably have to invest in a subcontrabass and some kickin subwoofers so i could feel it better ;)

then i'd sign up for experimental procedures for getting deaf people to hear again. they're getting better at stuff like that. :)

16. maybe i'd start drumming. seams most drummers are deaf anyway.