1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to post, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Beethoven Syndrome!

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by Gabu, Apr 29, 2004.

1. Yes, I would continue to play.

62.5%
  2. No, I would not play if I couldn't hear the music.

37.5%
  1. Gabu

Gabu

Jan 2, 2001
    Lake Elsinore, CA
    Here is something I thought of today, and I am curious how people will respond to it... If you woke up deaf tomorrow, but still able to play... would you?

2. I voted no. I dont think i would play bass anymore if i couldn't hear. To me, bass is mostly about grooving and meshing with others. Something that would put a lot of burden on others if I couldn't hear. The first thing I would do is learn how to read lips well (i would probably cry first, but yeah). Then I would probably start piano again, and maybe take up classical guitar. I would probably be too scared to play anything original, at least for a while, and there's no shortage of other people's music to play, so that's probably what I would do.

3. By-Tor

By-Tor

Apr 13, 2000
    Sacramento, CA
    I think I would.

My theory is, while I would be deaf, other senses would be enhanced.
    Possibly feel the difference in vibrations of various notes and be able to play by that.

4. I would die trying to play! If you knew the songs already it would be eaisier, all you would need is a set list, then watch the drummers hats for the quarters, then wait for the evil eyes when you screw something up :D

5. Josh Ryan

Josh Ryan - that dog won't hunt, Monsignor. Supporting Member

Mar 24, 2001
    i have no idea. I hope I never find out.

6. Tom Crofts

Tom Crofts

Mar 15, 2001
    That's a grim, grim thought.

I put no, otherwise I might be tempting fate...

7. Gabu

Gabu

Jan 2, 2001
    Lake Elsinore, CA
    I decided no also... I hate to be so selfish, but I wouldn't bake pies just to watch other people to eat them, either.

I guess I am in the music biz to entertain myself. ;)

8. Perfect-Tommy

Perfect-Tommy

Mar 28, 2004
    Ohio
    I voted yes because it's my living. If I could get disability, maybe I would quit.

9. I voted no. I started playing because I wanted to have fun, and without being able to hear what I'm playing, where's the fun?

10. I think I could, but it would be different. I'd keep playing for the sake of feeling the bass and what it does for me, but playing with a band would take a much more theoretical perspective. It would heavily depend on theory and less on hearing.

11. Benjamin Strange

Benjamin Strange Commercial User

Dec 25, 2002
    New Orleans, LA
    Owner / Tech: Strange Guitarworks
    GAH!! I just had a dream about this very thing this morning! :bag:

I would definitely give up music. No point in playing if you can't hear yourself. I would sell off all my gear, and travel the world like David Carradine in Kung Fu.

12. ldiezman

ldiezman

Jul 11, 2001
    Nashville
    I had a discussion in one of My speech Path. classes a few weeks ago as to whether we would rather be deaf or blind. The majority of the class said they would rather be deaf than blind, but If I actually had to choose one, i would rather be blind. Without hearing, I would loose everything i've worked for these past years.

If I were deaf though, I think I would stop playing bass, i doubt I would get enjoyment out of it...

13. Thor

Thor Moderator Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Sure, I'd join k0rN !

14. Yes! Give me a lead sheet, let me have eye contact with the band, (and I already feel my bass as much as I hear it), maybe a little known fact: Pete Townshend was near-total deafness years ago, he was equipped with very expensive in-ear monitors to aid him a bit, and he went right on jamming!
    I guess I play bass, cause it's what I do, Im not much good, nor interested in doing anything else....so Id have to go on playing. :D

15. andrewd

andrewd

Sep 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    well id probably have to invest in a subcontrabass and some kickin subwoofers so i could feel it better ;)

then i'd sign up for experimental procedures for getting deaf people to hear again. they're getting better at stuff like that. :)

16. maybe i'd start drumming. seams most drummers are deaf anyway.