Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Before a gig/warming up

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by Newman, Apr 30, 2001.

1. Newman

Newman

Jun 6, 2000
    Anyone mind sharing there pre-gig habits, warm ups, anything? What do you usually do before a gig to prepare?

Also when my fingers are cold It usually hurts my left hand pinky when i use it, I need some kind of finger exersice or something. I usually just try some different stuff that just goes up and down the neck but they dont seem to work. Any comments? Thx

2. brewer9

brewer9

Jul 5, 2000
    I have to loosen up my hands before a show or they tighten up on me pretty badly. What I do is just play my bass unplugged for about 20 minutes. That does the trick.

3. dblbassted

dblbassted

Mar 21, 2001
    Memphis, Tn.
    I do a combination of LH/RH exercises that Steve Bailey's teacher gave to my old teacher. I think Steve calls the LH ones the Hazard exercises in his video. The right hand warm-ups are based on strict index and middle finger alternation using various string crossings and rhythmic groupings. Four or five minutes of this and I'm usually ready to go.

4. I_Dream_Of_Bass

I_Dream_Of_Bass

Feb 8, 2001
    Newman,

I can't remember who posted it, but someone posted in another thread about running his hands under warm water for a while. I tried that about a week ago and it makes a big difference. After that, I played three songs, one simple, one medium, and one that ran the fretboard, and I was ready to go.

5. Brad Johnson

Brad Johnson Commercial User

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    Boom Bass Cabinets, DR strings
    I wash my hands. That's all.

One thing I don't do before a gig is operate any power tools, especially a lawn mower.

6. bootyquake

bootyquake

Mar 29, 2001
    Washington, DC
    I always show up a few minutes early for gigs. The most important thing for me is to get my head together. I'll set my gear up early, always allowing several minutes between heavy amp lifting and light-touch playing.

I hangout, meet the crowd if possible, help the other guys set up equipment (trust me, you'll be asked back more often), and have a beer or something. I might stretch my forearms out, but nothing special.

That way, when it's time to play for people, there's been minimal rush and I'm in a good mood to share some nice music with people.

7. duff_hodges

duff_hodges

May 15, 2000
    Suffolk, UK
    Soak your hands in warm/hot water before you do any warm up excersise.

8. Blackbird

Blackbird Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 18, 2000
    California
  9. Ryan L.

Ryan L. Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Aug 7, 2000
    West Fargo, ND
    Very good idea not to do stuff like that. Last year I spent most of the day on a D8 Cat (a bulldozer, for those not familiar with this sort of thing) before we had a gig that night. BIG MISTAKE!!! The vibrations going through my hands all day made them not work right that night. Cramped up easily, no matter what I did. Couldn't hardly move em at all.

So now, I make sure that I don't do anything like that on the day of a gig.

As far as warming up beforehand, I usually pick up a bass and go up and down the fretboard for a few minutes, unplugged. That's about it.

Ryan

10. jasonbraatz

jasonbraatz

Oct 18, 2000
    Oakland, CA
    i do a few stretches -

put your hands together in a praying form, then push out your hands so that your hands are straight with your forearms and only your fingers are pointing straight up

pull your fingers towards your shoulder with your other hand, palm out

repeat, palm in

shake your hands vigorously like you're shaking water off of them (works well after running them under hot water :D )

wiggle your fingers like you're massaging someones back or tickling someone - but do it slow to start then speed up

then i massage my forearms a bit, stretch out the rest of my body (some yoga stretches) and away i go

i don't play my bass inbetween soundcheck and the time we go onstage

jason