Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Before?after--My refin is home! (Somewhat large-ish pics--Beware)

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by bassmonkeee, Oct 7, 2004.

1. bassmonkeee

bassmonkeee Supporting Member

Sep 13, 2000
    Decatur, GA
    It's been a good bass week at Casa De Monkeee (Eek eek).
    Last Tuesday, my fretless Bongo finally arrived in all of it's porcelain 4 band EQ goodness. And, yesterday my '95 Curbow Int'l Petite 5 string returned from an overhaul with Michael Dolan out in California. :hyper:

Before:
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

I got this bass new from Curbow back in late 1995. I'd only gone to his shop to have a fretboard dressing on my ''88 fretless Curbow. He offered me this bass for a great deal since the person who ordered it wasn't able to pay it off when it was done. I've never really been a fan of red/purple basses, but I didn't mind the color enough to turn down the deal. :D

It has a lacewood top, and a one piece purpleheart back. It's semi-hollow, and the body has an added strip of purpleheart with two black accent lines (although, they were difficult to see under the purple finish on the back of the instrument).

I played this bass a lot during college, and it was the main bass that accompanied me on any out of town gig excursions/adventures. So, it certainly had some nicks, dings, and other assorted battle scars. I had to have the headstock horns cut back a little bit since I took a chunk of wood out of one of them over the years, too. I think I like they a little less pointy, anyway.

After I got my first Bongo, I decided to finally get this bass refinished, and set back up with an EADGC tuned TI Jazz Flats. I had it set up that way in the past for a couple of years, and really liked the bass the most during that time.

I've never really been a big fan of lacewood, and I knew I wanted the back of the bass to be clearcoat only, so I decided to do something like the Les Paul Goldtops, but with a different color scheme, so I went with a burgundy mist finish covering the lacewood, but leaving an accent strip before the clearcoat purpleheart. I think the bass looks amazing, and the accent strips are finally visible in all their glory.

2. bassmonkeee

Sep 13, 2000
    Decatur, GA
    These are the first attempt at pics, so I'll probably do a couple more in the near future. It's not quite as pink as it appears in the full light. It reflected a bit more light than I expected on an overcast day.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I had the Bart preamp changed out to an 18V EMG pre a couple of years ago, and the mid select switch was changed to a 'mute' since the EMG had a parametric stacked mid system. So, when it was wired back up, Michael wired it as an active bypass, which is great. I've always wanted a bass with the pickups wired directly to the output jack, and now I have it. Since the EMG has gain adjustments for the pickups, the active and passive volumes are even balanced. Pretty cool!
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

There are the accent strips that have been teasing me for the last 9 years, hidden no more! :bag: The action is ridiculously low with no buzz what-so-ever. This bass should see a lot of gigs with my blues band.

If you are looking to have something refinished, give Michael Dolan a call. He does great work. I recommend him wholeheartedly.

Now it's time for a new family pic!

3. Whafrodamus

Whafrodamus

Oct 29, 2003
    Andover, MA
    ... I actually like it. Nice work! :)

4. Sonorous

Sonorous

Oct 1, 2003
    Denton, TX
    I like the old finish more.

5. i like it!
    are you going to put the vbass system on it again?

6. Brendan

Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    ...it's pink.

7. Sonorous

Sonorous

Oct 1, 2003
    Denton, TX
    That fretboard is also humongous.

8. Special_Ed

Special_Ed

Oct 3, 2004
    I liked the old finish better. :eyebrow:

9. bassmonkeee

Sep 13, 2000
    Decatur, GA
    I like it, too! :D

I don't think I'm going to put the Roland pickup back on there. I've got them for both my fretted, and fretless Bongos, so I don't think I'll put one back on the Curbow. It has a great old school vibe in the sound right now that I love--no need for this one to sound like a pipe organ. :eek:

10. bassmonkeee

Sep 13, 2000
    Decatur, GA
    Wide, thin, and almost completely flat. The spacing is 20mm at the bridge. It's a little hot rod, I assure you. :bassist:

11. bassmonkeee

Sep 13, 2000
    Decatur, GA
    Not as pink as you think, Bub, but, yeah, it has it's pink thing goin' on.

It plays better than ever. Still want it? :eyebrow: :p

12. Cool! I really like the burgundy mist/purpleheart combination! Lacewood doesn't seem to do quite as nicely for a "binding" as, say, flame maple, but from the pictures the color actually seems a pretty decent match for the Rockwood neck.

It's no buckeye burl, of course, but I dig it. :D

Mike

13. Brendan

Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    It's a Curbow: I'd sex it up like a frat boy at a sorority kegger.

14. Gard

Gard Commercial User

Mar 31, 2000
    Greensboro, NC, USA
    General Manager, Roscoe Guitars
    Hey, that turned out really well man! :)

You'd better keep it away from Brendan next time he makes a pilgrimage to an ATL/TB/GTG, he seems to have less than honorable intentions toward it!!!

:eek:

15. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

Jason! Very nice!!! I like the way it turned out.:cool:

16. Brendan

Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    Well, rather frankly, it's high damn time I saw some action. And, y'know, pink is such a sexy color on the right curves...

17. Dude! Thats hot as!
    Thanks
    Troy

18. lbanks

lbanks

Jul 17, 2003
    Ennui, IN USA
    I think that looks really good.

19. ZuluFunk

ZuluFunk

Apr 14, 2001
    Pennsylvania
    Good work. Use it well. :bassist:

20. Wow, man. That looks incredible!
    This is by far the best 5-string I've ever played, and I can't imagine the action being much better than it already was. I guess I'll have to play it and see for myself! :cool: