Before I blow up my Crown...

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by peteroberts, Mar 18, 2003.

1. I want to try mono bridge mode. The manual says 'only use the positives from 1 and 2' or something like that, leading me to believe I can't just plug a regular Speakon into it and use ch1 as mono. Do I have to use a different adapter, i.e. do I need to do something more than just unplug ch2 and flip the switch from stereo to bridge mono?
  2. Does your Crown have dual banana binding posts?

This is the most common speaker connection for pro sound amps that I've used (yes, there are speakons, and 1/4"'s etc)

If you do (this is how I bridge my Crown):

1) turn down the amp level controls
    2) turn off you amp, and preamp
    3) set the bridge switch to bridge
    4) attach a dual banana speaker cable to the two positive leads, observing the bridge mode polarity (should be written on the back of the amp by the posts)
    5) attach the other end to your cabinet
    6) turn on your pre
    7) turn on the Crown
    8) turn up level control for ch 1 only

You should be "crossing the bridge" of bridged amplification.

Have fun.
  3. Phat Ham

Phat Ham

Feb 13, 2000
    I know that on QSC's to use speakons in bridge mode you have to rewire a standard speakon connector so that the leads are connected to 1+ and 2+ instead of the normal 1+ and 1-. I'm not sure how the Crown's are wired, but I wouldn't be surprised if they are the same.
  4. Hmmm... haven't had to bridge with a Speakon thingy. I better stay out of this one.:bag:
  5. Phat Ham

Phat Ham

Feb 13, 2000
    As I had guessed earlier, that means you have to wire the speakon connector so that the wires are connected to the +1 and +2 terminals. Most (if not all) speakons you buy preassembled will have the wires connected to the +1 and -1 terminals, so you can either rewire one of those or just make your own speakon.
  6. To be safe,
    1. Switch the amp to BRIDGE
    2. get a banana (not the fruit) to speakon, or whatever your cab has, speaker cord.
    3. Plug the banana plug into the 2 red binding posts.

(banana is a type of connector with 2 blades sticking out of a plastic housing that attaches to your speaker cord and plugs directly into the binding posts on the back of your amp.)

I've bridged Crowns and QSCs and whatever and this is the sure way to bridge.
  7. I looked at the .pdf of the Crown CE's rear panel. It has no bananas. :( You'll have to get some Neutrik Speakon NL4FC's and build a custom cable, so you can send amp ch1's output '+' to the '+' leg of your cab, and amp ch2's '+' output to the '-' leg of your cab.

Search connectors.

Get a second opinion from the fellas here who know their stuff, and may have bridged a "Speakon only" amp (Petebass, Mark Reccord, Bob Lee to name a few). Or talk to Crown, but I'm pretty sure this is the answer.
  8. Easiest way with QSC is to use a bananna connector and use both positive inputs (red) and it accomplishes the same thing. Positive red wire goes to red channel 1 and black wire goes to red channel two.
  9. anyone have experience with the connector adapter GreyBeard is talking about?? I couldn't find one on
  10. Bob Lee (QSC)

Bob Lee (QSC) In case you missed it, I work for QSC Audio! Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Jul 3, 2001
    Costa Mesa, Calif.
    Technical Communications Developer, QSC Audio
    It looks like your answer is on page 9.

What's a "five-post thingie?"
  11. Haven't found a "Pre-made Speakon bridging adaptor for Crown CE Power Amplifiers", but here's an NL4FC

....if you decide to make your adaptor.

Oh, and here's a Neutrik Speakon guide straight from the Crown Audio site, if you want to see what the connectors look like inside.
  12. After reading everything in this post, I think I have a handle on your problem. You have a CE1000 that has only Neutrik outputs on the back. To bridge it you need a NEUTRIK NL4FC Speakon. The connector should have 2 (+) and 2 (-) connectors for a total of 4 connectors. Connect the hot and cold wires to 2 (+) connectors on the Speakon and connect the speakon to Channel (1) output. Connect your input to channel 1 and make sure the BRIDGE switch is set. Good Luck.
  13. Greybeard has me on "ignore".

He's probably not the first....

Hey Greybeard, I LOVE you , Man!!! :D