1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Before I buy a GK 800 RB ??

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by ryco, May 14, 2006.

1. ryco

ryco

Apr 24, 2005
    I just have just made my 50th trip around the sun. In honor of this achievement my girl of 23 years wishes for me to have a new amp. I have desired a GK for years and I'm thinking the 800 is the one because of its bi-amp feature. I wish it had a little more power, but at my advanced age and the gigs I play I don't need to absolutely blast anymore.

Anyhow, in looking at the back panel I see it has "speaker lo' = 300w @ 4o and "speak hi" =100w @ 8o
    My question is: can the "hi" run a 4o cabinet safely? I would like to run a 4x12 Marshall for hi end which is a 4o cab.
    Would like to run a Sunn 118 + 112 for the low end. The Sunn cab has an internal x-over if I run it in 4ohm mode

Sunn cab spec reads:
    700w prog, 375w rms, 4ohm or;
    12" = 300w prog, 150w rms, 8o
    18" = 400w prog, 225w rms, 8o

I could always just run the amp in bridged mode and just run one cab or the other, but it would defeat the purpose of having a bi-amp amp. In that case I might as well get the GK1001 RB or an Ashdown 500 ABM or an Aggie 500.

Am I in danger of damaging this amp running this cab configuration? Should I get a 2x12 @ 8o cab for the highs? Am I looking at the right amp? Opinions/education appreciated!

Thanks in advance, -Ryco

2. yamaha

yamaha

Apr 7, 2006
    Montreal
    You can not Bridge the 800RB. However, the 800rb gives 180 watts at 8 ohms (300 at 4), and 100 watts at 8 ohms (high). This might be pretty great running the sunn biamped and by itself. Select a low x-over frequency (250 Hz about), and this could be a beatiful team. 180 watts to the 18", 100 watts to the 12". I've never tried a 4 ohm load on the 100 watt amp, and don't know of anyone who has, but I know it's not recommended. This will probably damage the amp, as there is not enough resistance (impedance). Good luck.

3. ryco

ryco

Apr 24, 2005
    Thanks yamaha -

I can never remember which is the wrong way. If a 8o can run a 4o safely, or if a 4o can run an 8o safely.

If it can't be bridged, I could just run the Marshall out of the 4o jacks and not use the 8o at all, right? Kind of defeats the purpose of having a bi-amp function though.

Yeah, the Sunn by itself would be super sweet except it weighs a ton and is a large cab. Built like a mac truck! Oh - my back!