1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Before I buy...any words?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by dukey donkey, Nov 30, 2018.

1. I'm about to pull the trigger on a Sawtooth P bass that I found a realllly good deal on... Anyone played one? Its got mixed reviews, but I know you can't expect the world from a sub 200 dollar bass... Just wonder if it'll be a good present for my 13 year old son that's playing bass these days in the jazz band at school and increasingly becoming more interested in playing... I don't want him playing on some junk that has truss rod issues or won't last through the winter... electronics and hardware can be replaced...

2. MonetBass

MonetBass ♪ Just listen ♫ Supporting Member

Sep 15, 2006
    Tulsa, OK
    Save yourself some potential headaches and get a Squier Precision Bass. There are several in the Classifieds right now, all under $300. You can also get a Squier VM Precision PJ bass on Musicians Friend for $299. Even more versatile for not much more money, and quality will be miles better than the Sawtooth.

dbsfgyd1, Marikk, taught and 19 others like this.
  3. I can get the sawtooth for like $120 new free shipping

4. Bryan R. Tyler

Bryan R. Tyler TalkBass: Usurping My Practice Time Since 2002 Staff Member Administrator Gold Supporting Member

May 3, 2002
    Connecticut
    I’ve never played a Sawtooth, but those Squier VMs are actually great basses for the money…waaaay better than the basses at that price range when I started out. If you want something that will grow with him and not just a project bass for you to mess around on, I would go with the Squier. You can also return it if there are any issues.

Marikk, design, Bob Clayton and 3 others like this.
  5. MonetBass

Sep 15, 2006
    Tulsa, OK
    It would definitely be worth it to spend a little more, trust me. Especially based on the "mixed reviews" you mentioned in your OP.

Marikk, design, Artman and 2 others like this.
  6. Lobster11

Lobster11 Supporting Member Supporting Member

Apr 22, 2006
    Williamsburg, VA
    And why do you think that is?

7. jd56hawk

jd56hawk

Sep 12, 2011
    The Garden State
    Exactly.
    With so many bargain basses out there with a history of good reviews, why gamble?

Artman likes this.
  8. vindibona1

vindibona1

Apr 18, 2015
    I'm sure you've heard the phrase "you get what you pay for"... Don't do that to your kid. The others have told you and I'm telling you the Squier basses are the best you can buy for the money. The VM's and CV's are absolutely amazing and aside from some final finishing rival much more expensive basses.

Lemme ask you... Have you gone to any professional sports events recently? You probably paid more for a ticket to a sports event that became vapor in 3 hours than what it costs to cough up the extra dough for an instrument that potentially can last a lifetime. This is not the time or instance to be a cheapskate. If you go the Sawtooth route you'll end up buying the bass twice. I promise.

Session1969, taught, design and 12 others like this.
  9. I don't get the luxury of that kind of expenditure lol... I'm raising 4 kids alone... teenagers at that. McDonald's is a special treat.

Quinn Roberts, djaxup, 3bc and 7 others like this.
  10. I'll probably get him something used, but I really wanted his first to be new...

11. Leo Thunder

Leo Thunder

Sep 27, 2018
    Wishful thinking. There is a wrong saying for everything.

clickclack likes this.
  12. Leo Thunder

Leo Thunder

Sep 27, 2018
    Not worth it. The 2nd hand market is full of new instruments someone else's son has left aside. And if you're lucky, they might even have been set-up properly, which a cheap new instrument won't.

13. jd56hawk

jd56hawk

Sep 12, 2011
    The Garden State
    Used Squier VM Jazz basses typically sell for $200.
    I can't count how many I've come across that look and play like new.

saabfender, Whippet, design and 4 others like this.
  14. MonetBass

Sep 15, 2006
    Tulsa, OK
  15. I just want to make sure he's looking forward to playing it, which means it has to look and sound like he's after... having a hard time finding something within budget. H's digging the P bass sound, likes smaller necks, likes bursts, but ones that aren't so typical like tobacco or sunburst... he's mentioned more like odd color bursts... even a black/white burst... just anything except furniture burst

Kukulkan61 likes this.
  16. mrb327

mrb327

Mar 6, 2013
    Colorado
    Nobody Knows
    This

And a good used bass is better than a “meh” new bass

Artman, gorneyg, Andre678 and 2 others like this.
  17. Leo Thunder

Leo Thunder

Sep 27, 2018
    That's the Walmart price and Amazon has them down to $109. Check the "Buy now" option on their site. I wouldn't trust that sort of product to have any serious form of quality control. I might be wrong but this falls in the "too good to be true" class. For that price, a used Squier or Ibanez GIO is the much safer option.

18. he's also expressed a disdain for the Ibanez neck/ thin bodies... maybe a Talman?

MCF likes this.
  19. MonetBass

Sep 15, 2006
    Tulsa, OK
    In that case, I wouldn't rule out Squier Jazz basses. The Ibanez Talmans are great basses for the money as well.

MCF and Plucky The Bassist like this.
  20. Though I'd still like to see if anyone has first hand knowledge of the bass... its intriguing and its hard to take advice about something from someone that has never touched one