Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Before I die.....HELP!

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by old grouch, Dec 25, 2005.

1. old grouch

old grouch "Old Fool? Ya don't get old, bein' no fool!"

<font color=chrome>I was playin bass with the king of the surf guitar (yeah, DD) in 60-62. Had a 57 P bass. Period. Just made one style of P bass in them days, and it was called a P Bass! So, now I've dusted off the memories, and have decided to get a bass. Is a P Bass still the bada$$ it was 50 years ago, or could someone please recommend (with a bit of reasoning) a better selection. I like to play blues, jazz, some BOB seeger or james burton or james taylor or bonnie raitt kinda rock. I used to love that old P bass, and just don't think Leo (Fender) would dig the zillion models out now...So, kind reader, make my life simple. You recommend something, I will research it, and if it beats the (reissue) P Bass (American.....jeez) then I would take it for a test drive. Thanks for helping an old geezer rocker-jazzer.

old age and treachery will overcome youth and skill every time!

2. Dr. Cheese

Dr. Cheese Gold Supporting Member

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis
    If you want to play the same stuff you used to play, then another P-bass. Even if you want to change, you can go for a P-bass, they are versatile. The only thing, i could suggest is that you might want to check out out some boutique versions of the P-bass like Sadowsky, Lull, or Lakland. The budget version of Lakland, the Skyline Bob Glaub is a very nice P-bass style instrument.

3. I suggest a P-Bass. :eek:

4. AxtoOx

AxtoOx

Nov 12, 2005
    Duncan, Okla.
    Believe it or not, people still play them. There are a LOT of really nice basses out now, you could spend a lot of time trying them, and spend thousands on one, but I'd just stick w/ the old standrad and get another P-bass.

5. old grouch

Think THIS will do it? http://www.musiciansfriend.com/srs7/g=bass/search/detail/base_pid/517720/

6. old grouch

7. tplyons

tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    Good axe, rather versatile and certainly quality.

However, from reading your first post, it seems like you REALLY want to get another P-Bass. An American Standard P-Bass would be right up your alley, or even a reissue like this one: http://www.musiciansfriend.com/srs7/g=home/search/detail/base_pid/510073/ Modelled after the bass you once owned.

8. old grouch

http://www.fender.com/products/search.php?partno=0152200800

This is like mine....BUT, I could like a bass that stood up for itself....Do you think Lakland is simply a 'copy' or would it stand alone if it didn't LOOK like P?

So, the reason I REALLY would want another P Bass, is because IN '57 they were made tight n' right! I'm not sure these days. Who ( what bass company) is made Tight n' Right in 2005-2006 that would be a good sounding, nice handling unit? I'm not going to get a 6 night bang-gig....looking for more casual (3-4 nights, in a quieter setting). :help:

9. tplyons

tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    The Lakland is a whole 'nother monster compared to the P-Bass. The Precision is passive, a single pickup and only a tone knob and volume knob.

The Lakland has a humbucker AND a single coil, three band onboard preamp and coil splitting for the humbucker in the bridge position. Very versatile, but completely different.

How much are you looking to spend? Higher end Fenders are generally done "Tight n' Right" as you say, as are Laklands. Most anything in that price range is done right, and can be inspected if you go through a reputable dealer.

10. old grouch

want to spend $1500 or less, so the P bass is paying for the name to the tune of probably about $500, and a (retail) product worth of $1K. The Lakland seems like a better bang for the buck, but I've been in cobwebs so long I'm sure that 200 good companies have come and gone, so its greek to me. Off hand, when someone asks "Whats the best bass made today?" what it the answer?

11. AxtoOx

AxtoOx

Nov 12, 2005
    Duncan, Okla.
  12. tplyons

tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    Sadowsky, Alembic, Mike Lull, Ritter... All of which are out of your price range.

Perhaps a Sadowsky Metro is down your alley... a little bit out of your price range (about $1800 but worth every penny)

http://www.sadowsky.com/pages/framesets/fs_metro.html

13. old grouch

Rent a copy of 'Bikini Beach Party'....I'm the young dude with the BLUE P Bass. Still in 9 scenes! Last check was about 1999, for.......are you ready, $1.80! LOL!!!
    Met Stevie Wonder, Vincent Price, Peter Lorre, and saw Anettes cha-cha's all in the same month! Whatta Gig! :D

14. tplyons

tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    Wow, we got a movie star on our hands!

15. fatsobasso

fatsobasso

Dec 24, 2005
    Ormond florida
    roscoe beck 4 string

16. srxplayer

srxplayer

May 19, 2004
    Highland, CA
    Get the P-Bass. It will be like hanging out with an old friend again...and yes, they still work today.

17. old grouch

See what I mean? Those all LOOK like a copy of a Fender....not that they sound like a Fender. If I am going to 'breakout' I think I want a different LOOKING and handling ax. Otherwise, wouldn't it be smart to spend the $1.6K and buy a 59 nos P Bass?

Im looking at an MV4 Sadowsky, and cannot see where the $$$ are??!

18. old grouch

Yeah! Thats ME! :bassist: Made a total of about $3K for the whole thing! But it was pretty cool playing with the Dickster during the nights, and going to school in the day!

Got interesting in the 'later years!' All over the place, about 4 levels down from "Heard of!"

19. old grouch

THAT IS a great looking ax