1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  
    TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

before i open the case...

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by g00eY, Jan 5, 2006.

  1. g00eY


    Sep 17, 2005
    Chicago, IL
    k, so i'm receiving a bass from California to Illinois. it is scheduled to arrive on Monday (i hope it arrives on time, or earlier :) ). it's being shipped in the case, packing peanuts, and a box from UPS. i was wondering if i need to let it acclimatize or anything before i go ahead and open the case. i don't want any hairline cracks or whatnot, cuz that would suck.
  2. Yes, I would let it acclimate.
  3. tplyons


    Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    give it a few hours... cook yourself a nice dinner and wait in the most extreme anticipation and angst ever
  4. g00eY


    Sep 17, 2005
    Chicago, IL
    what sucks the most is that i have school cuz it's a Monday. i have to wait all day for it. THEN if it arrives late i might have to wait over night. i'm guessing it might arrive 5ish in the afternoon if it arrives on time. i'll let it sit maybe till 8-9, play it a bit, and go to sleep a happy kid. do you think 3 hours is enough after i open up the box, but leave the case alone?
  5. Indiana Mike

    Indiana Mike

    Nov 18, 2005
    I've never waited, never had a problem. Waiting would be agony for me.What would be the difference if you transported it around in cold/hot weather. I say open it!
  6. eots


    Dec 18, 2004
    Morris, IL.
    I bought a Carvin a few years ago. Cal to IL. Ordered in Nov. arrived in Jan. and it was below freezing at the time. I went thru the same questions but it got the best of me and I might have waited 10 minutes or so and opened the case anyway.
    It was still frozen and had this clammy feeling to it from the moisture that soon covered it. I picked it up to check out but eventually put it back in the case and closed the lid.
    A few days later, I noticed that a few 'blisters' from where the frets seemed to have protruded through the clear coat. I figured I'll just wait and see how it holds up over time in case something else should happen to it. Fast fwd about a year later and more 'blisters' have since accumulated and with the 5 piece mahogany /maple neck needed more adjustments than a rich chiropractic patient, I decided to send it back to get it fixed.
    I wonder if taking it out of the case right away had something to do with it? Be patient is my advise. Give it 6 hours or so perhaps.
  7. BTBbassist

    BTBbassist join us for mankala hour!

    Apr 20, 2002
    Westlake Village, CA
    Three hours is plenty of time in my opinion. Consider the fact that it is sitting on a truck in your local climate for hours before arrival. The extra box and peanuts may dufus the rate of temperature acclamation, but the bass is still acclamating during that period of local delivery. The reality is that any damage due to dramatic temperature or pressure fluctuation would probably have already been done before it arrives at your home.

    I wouldn't worry too much... Let it sit for an hour or so, for peace of mind if nothing else, and then play away! Enjoy your new bass. :D
  8. BTBbassist

    BTBbassist join us for mankala hour!

    Apr 20, 2002
    Westlake Village, CA

    Didn't see your reply about posting - crazy that it would still be frozen... I wouldn't think that the box would insulate the case enough to keep something very cold for a period of days. Strange.

    I would worry more if the bass were being shipped from IL to CA, and having a situation like eots... But I'm in Chicago too (Northwestern) and its not too cold at the moment, so I don't think you have much to worry about.

  9. eots


    Dec 18, 2004
    Morris, IL.
    UPS trucks in Illinois drive around with the doors open so the bass isn't going to prewarmed like if was in your own car.
    I suspect mine was not a result of this but more a quality issue but just to be sure, wait..
  10. SteveC

    SteveC Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

    Nov 12, 2004
    North Dakota
    Take it out of the shipping box and let it sit for a few hours. The wait will be worth it.
  11. g00eY


    Sep 17, 2005
    Chicago, IL
    thanks guys! i guess i'll wait awhile biting my fingernails. i live in the Chicago suburbs so the temperature isn't horrible right now. i just don't wanna get anything screwed up. the bass i'm receiving is a used Carvin from one of TBs very own members.
  12. purfektstranger


    Apr 10, 2003
    .....yeah right....and the cow jumped over the moon.

    No pics....no bass. TB rules! :)
  13. ollybarclay


    Dec 14, 2005
    he's not received it yet?! :rolleyes:
  14. I try to let it acclimate if the bass has been sitting in my car all day before a gig (for example)...
  15. g00eY


    Sep 17, 2005
    Chicago, IL
    yea, i haven't recieved it yet :rolleyes: , but i hope to get it soon.

    in fact, i just checked and the bass is only 1/2 hour away from where i live, but it's not scheduled to get here until Monday. maybe UPS is will be uber cool and get my bass to me tonight or tomorrow :smug: .
  16. Ian Perge

    Ian Perge Supporting Member

    May 11, 2001
    Evansville, Indiana
    There's no way to move it out of your car before a gig? I'm not sure if you have nowhere to keep it due to school, work, or other reasons, but at that point I'd worry much more about theft then temperature with it visible in a car. :eek: