1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Before I pay to upgrade.....

Discussion in 'Classifieds Usage Discussion and Help' started by WI Short Scaler, Jul 25, 2018.

1. Can I ask have people had good luck selling their bass guitars on here. I hate to sell on Ebay and mess with their fees and crap but before I upgrade my membership here I just wanted to ask.

I understand that if you ask an unreasonable price you'll never have any luck but I'm thinking of unloading two of my basses and this might be a good spot to do it if people have had good luck.

Hope I'm not violating any rules just by asking, thanks!

2. Warpeg

Warpeg Supporting Member

Jun 20, 2005
    Ohio
    Great question! As someone that has been buying, selling, and trading on Talkbass, eBay, CL, and Reverb for the better part of two decades, I can confidently tell you that Talkbass is by far my favorite place to do business. The Talkbass community is quite a bit different crowd than those found on the other sites; they are bass-dedicated and most members have long roots in the site. Also, don't think of your membership upgrade as just a step to selling on Talkbass. Your membership helps to keep your bass family's community alive and strong. :thumbsup:

MonetBass likes this.
  3. fretno

fretno Supporting Member

May 10, 2009
    Los Angeles
    TB is the best place to find and move bass gear IMO .

4. Agreed..This is the best place to buy,sell and trade.Our community here has been a pleasure to deal with.You can check anyone's feedback profile to get an idea of what goes on here.
    My problem is that when I put one up for sale to thin the heard..I find two others that I don't have that I need to buy :)

Here's just one example of one of my sales here...the comments say it all.
    1965 Epiphone Rivoli Short Scale.Dakota Red nitro refinish.

Last edited: Jul 25, 2018
  5. MonetBass

MonetBass ♪ Just listen ♫ Supporting Member

Sep 15, 2006
    Tulsa, OK
    Last year I sold my Squier VM Jazz fretless with no hassles whatsoever. The transaction was as smooth as you could want. And every bass in my current stable was purchased here, again with no problems. But remember to follow the same rules as you would any other selling site.

6. DigitalMan

DigitalMan Wikipedia often mistakes my opinions for fact Supporting Member

Nov 30, 2011
    I’ve had good luck on both. The buyer always pays the eBay “seller” fees effectively. If I put something for sale on TB for $900, I would put the same thing on eBay for $1,000. Fee problem solved.

The benefit of TB is dealing with a good community. The benefit of eBay is reaching an audience many orders of magnitude larger.

7. DiabolusInMusic

DiabolusInMusic Functionless Art is Merely Tolerated Vandalism Supporting Member

Have you been on Reverb? I would probably post there as well, they have a much wider audience. Also, don't let the "community" hype sway you. People take advantage of each other here too. Plus, leaving some horrendous negative feedback will not stop other members from doing business with whoever offended you. You need to be on your toes when selling online through any venue, buyer/seller beware.

8. Gorn

Gorn

Dec 15, 2011
    Queens, NY
    You can ask for a perfectly reasonable price and still have no luck. It's a buyer's market and selling stuff is tough these days. And being brand new with no feedback won't help you. You could be the most honest guy in the world with pristine basses for low prices but people here not knowing you is gonna hurt. I'm not trying to scare you off but those are realities you should be prepared for. That's why you gotta spread it around. Ebay, reverb, Craigslist, all that.

yonkrz likes this.
  9. GBBSbassist

GBBSbassist I actually play more guitar... Supporting Member

Nov 23, 2010
    Chicago
    I've had good luck both buying and selling on here. Just be transparent with your listings and you shouldn't have any trouble.

Sometimes there are reasons other than cost for why things don't sell though. Carvin for example is a tougher sale at least on here due to the lack of customer support since the shutdown.

10. bass40hz

bass40hz Cigar smoker, scotch drinker, American Patriot Supporting Member

Aug 13, 2014
    Sussex County, NJ
    no endorsements yet...Are you listening Spector, DR, GK, Line6?
    Like everyone else says..buying or selling here isn't an issue at all, every transaction I have been part of was perfect.
    Have no fear, buying or selling here...see what I did there...LOL
    Rock on!

11. john m

john m Supporting Member

Jan 15, 2006
    TB is a great place to do business.

A couple of things to consider:
    How hit of an item is your instrument?

Are you willing to price it to sell or do you expect top dollar for it?

12. Bikeguy57

Bikeguy57 Supporting Member

Write a good detailed description of the bass. Take a lot of clear pictures. List on here and Reverb. I prefer to sell here, but I’ve had much better luck on Reverb lately. People on Reverb will hit the Buy It button without asking any questions, whereas here, people will. Also the TB membership gets you a nice discount on strings and supplies. Price it right and it will move.Good luck.

13. pcake

pcake Supporting Member

Sep 20, 2011
    Los Angeleez
    if you're selling inexpensive basses, shipping is going to change things. a bass for sale brand new for $200 isn't going to sell well if you ask $125 plus shipping is $65 to $95. sometimes it makes more sense to try ebay for a local sale - they have a LOT of local eyes if you have no luck on CL, so you won't have to ask for shipping, and paying the fee can be worth it in some cases.

agreed with a good description and well-lit, detailed pics - regardless of where you sell.

14. I thought I would follow up on here since I asked the original question.

I had listed locally on CL, on Sweetwater's used gear site, on 3 different FB sale sites, and here on TB.

Based on discussions I had read on here, it seemed to be a common calculator to sell used gear for 60% of what you paid. And I set a price based on that figure. I was able to sell the Hofner to another TB member and it's in transit now.