Before I pull the trigger...

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by The Alexander, Mar 15, 2006.

1. I want to know people's experience with SX Fretless Jazz basses. I am looking at this one:

How are their necks, sound, sustain, body, hardware, anything you can think of. Is there any other fretless that would be better for less than $200? This will be my first fretless so I would like fretlines.

2. Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    For the price i havent found anything better as far as fretless's go.
  3. How does the neck compare to a "real" jazz? Is it about the same profile, fatter, skinnier, wider, narrower?

4. Greg Johnsen

Greg Johnsen

May 1, 2005
    Hickory NC
    it's a little wider, 1 5/8" I think. I had to give mine a good sanding down because it was a replacement one without a finish, so it was a little rough in areas. I'm gonna give it a tung oil finish and it should be good.

I don't know about the basses themselves, just the necks.

5. sublimate

Jan 12, 2006
    According to the website it's 1-9/16". My fretless SX won't be here until later this week, so I don't know first hand.
  6. There's NOTHING better out there for under $200! Kurt is simply GREAT to deal with, too!!!

My only recommendation is to spend an extra $200+ and put a really nice set of electronics (Demeter pre-amp maybe) in it. The controls dirty up REAL fast causing tons of static, and the shielding is poor causing some nasty buzz that you just can't eliminate when gigging. I'll be doing that with my Brice prestige sometime in the future. The pickus are great, and the construction is nicer than some mid-line stuff out there. But of the 5 Rondo-type basses that I've had, ALL the electronics have suffered from the same problem.
  7. Nedmundo

Nedmundo Supporting Member

Jan 7, 2005
    I bought a used SX fretless P-bass copy a few weeks ago, and I think the body and hardware are quite solid. The pickup sounds surprisingly good too, but one coil wasn't mounted securely, so it moves if touched, and a click comes through the amp. I doubt it was like this new though.

The neck (lined maple) has issues. It seems well made, and the vinish is quite good. But it has a hump up near the neck joint on the treble side, so the G string buzzes nastily when played at positions seven through about thirteen. I've read that this isn't unusual, but it's annoying nonethelss. I'll probably try to fix it myself. I also don't like the wide neck, but that's my preference and not a quality issue.
  8. lefty007

Jan 19, 2004
    Miami, FL
    I had one for awhile. The nut width seemed to be regular Jazz-spec. The radius is flatter, 10" or 12" I would say (standard Jazzes are 7 1/2"). Very comfortable. The neck profile was not too thin, like say, a Geddy Lee, but not chunky either.

It was a little heavy for my taste, between 9 and 10 lbs.

It sounded pretty good for a $200. The biggest problem for me was the pickup mounting. They would not go low enough for the low action I needed, the cheap screws that adjust the height of the pickup wear out almost inmediately, and the springs under the pickups are very soft, so the pickups sink when you anchor your thumb in them.

It could benefit with a nice setup (sanding and truing the fretboard) to prevent buzzes, and the mentioned problem with the pickups. You could do this yourself, but it will cost you in tools (radiused sanding block, sand paper, etc.) or any tech would charge anywhere from $75 to $100.

The pickups sound pretty, but of course you could benefit from getting better ones.

The nut might also need better slotting.

I also didn't like the cheap gold hardware -looks and feels, well, cheap.

But all in all, a great bass for $200, and I think the key with SXs is not to spend too much money on them and play them almost as they come - otherwise you better go to a Mexican Fender, used or new, which they have fretless.

BTW, rondomusic has a 30-day satisfaction guarantee policy, so you can try them yourself with no risk.
  9. Thanks for all the help guys. It looks like the good things outweigh the bad, so I went ahead and ordered it. I cant wait :hyper:
  10. Juniorkimbrough

Mar 22, 2005
    Mississippi / Memphis, TN
    Endorsing Artist: Lakland Basses
    For the price you cannot beat an SX. Sure they aren't perfect, but they are excellent for their price. If I were to do it over and get another SX fretless, I'd get one with a rosewood fingerboard over the maple just because of buzzing issues I've had with my maple board.