1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Before I smoke my 370

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by mtkegger, Apr 2, 2013.

1. mtkegger

mtkegger

Nov 18, 2010
    VA.
    Can I take the monitor out of the 370, into the guitar input of a second head, then speaker out of the second head to a cab? If so, what settings should I use on each head?

Trying to test the preamp section of the 370 but don't have a powered speaker per the suggestion I read.

I'm getting distortion at volumes >2 mainly on low and low-mid freqs. The distortion sounds like a rattling / blown speaker. Tested multiple cabs, Ampeg 410 HLF, TC RS212, Avatar TB153 that's not it.

Any advise would be appreciated.

2. Sure. Run everything as close to neutral(flat) as possible. Start with the input gain on the second head all the way down or you may get an unpleasant surprise.

So the noise is present with other cabs is what you're saying? Might be as simple as a broken solder joint in the head--control knob connections are a common point of failure.

3. Should be OK, but you would be better served by visiting "unofficial acoustic "site at
    acoustic.homeunix.net if that address does not work, simply look up Acoustic control corp and go to the site from there.

This is where the real pros and experts are regarding Acoustic Control equipment.
    Good luck...

4. BassmanPaul

BassmanPaul Gold Supporting Member

Aug 25, 2007
    Toronto Ontario Canada
    If your B amp has an FX loop, plug the cable into the Return jack. If not keep the level on the B amp very low and use the #2 input to try this out. If you find that the 370 pre-amp is clean then your problem lies in the power amp section. If you have experience in trouble shooting electronics you know what to do next. If not it's time to let a tech take a look before your attempted repair makes matters worse.

5. mtkegger

mtkegger

Nov 18, 2010
    VA.
    Thanks, and yes, the distortion is present in all different cabs. I read the preamp section of the 370 should not distort regardless of the volume...I guess we'll see