Before picking up the bass...

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by FaultLine423, Oct 23, 2000.

1. FaultLine423

Aug 27, 2000
    ...what instrument did you play(unless your first instrument WAS bass), or still do? I started playing violin when I was 5, and stopped around age 10, so none of the violin stuff could be carried over, but at age 10 I started playing trombone, so I could read bass clef really well, which helped quite a bit when I started taking bass lessons at age 13. Plus, if you think about it, there's a connection between legato trombone tone, and legato bass tone, so that was something else that was carried over. How about you all?
  2. Deynn

Deynn Moderator Emeritus

Aug 9, 2000
    I played trumpet and have found out, that many other bass players did as well.
  3. I started on piano at 5 so there I learned both bass & treble clef.. then at 11 I got bored of piano and started playing classical guitar (still do) and 1 year later I also started playing bass.... well.. before that I had obviously often played my brother´s bass for fun :)

btw... i think this has been covered here before... :)
  4. furtim

Dec 12, 1999
    Boston, MA, USA
    I played piano at 5, like most of you. But I quit at 6. =)

I blame a combination of being too bloody young to appreciate it and having a bad teacher.
  5. I started on piano at about 6 or 7, when I wished I could be like my brother and play piano. Then I started losing interest, and my mom still forced me to play, until eventually she gave up when I was about 13. Then at 14 I started with guitar, and then moved to bass at 16 because a coupla friends needed a bassist for their band. :D
  6. I used to play Violin, then Piano, then bass and Harmonica and ukulele and guitar. But nowadays i mostly play bass.. never put it down since i first picked it up. :) Harmonica and ukulele and guitar is only rare now.
  7. Acacia

Apr 26, 2000
    Austin, TX
    16 years of drums. (never to be played again)
  8. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

Guitar at 9, drums at 12, bass from 12 on.

Sean, just out of curiosity, why 'never again'?
  9. Trumpet, age 10-17; guitar at 12 to present; electric bass, age 13 to present; acoustic bass at 24; upright at 30; Dulcimer, autoharp, tin penny whistle also at 30. Its all music and enjoyable but my heart is in bass so that is the main emphasis.
  10. Oops, forgot, treble cleff baritone in th alst two years of high school, too. That's why I still have trouble reading bass cleff - I wanna put it all in treble and can't get my dumb brain to keep going down the scale.
  11. Started out playing trumpet in 3rd grade through school. I wanted to play drums but the night that the company the school used to supply instruments came they ran out of snares before I arrived with my parents so I had to make a choice. I think I picked trumpet because it was such a loud instrument. Kept taking lessons on trumpet until I was 11 when the band teacher asked me if I'd consider switching to baritone horn. I accepted and he began to teach me to read both F and G clef. I also started to play the valve trombone as well until I was almost 14 and went off to private school. I didn't play anything for about 2 years. My best friend at the time played guitar and he had a friend who played drums so naturally I bought a bass and amp for around $200 and the rest is history. Unfortunately now my reading skills are really horrible. I really wish that I had kept up my studies.
  12. Trumpet from 5th through 2 years ago (still dust off once in a while)...
    A little keyboard/harmonica/percussion for a couple years, then picked up bass a couple years ago...
  13. Blackbird

Blackbird Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 18, 2000
    Started on guitar at age 15. Picked up the bass one year later. I still play both. Started playing piano 3 years ago and just started on the upright. Oh, I also sing.

Will C.:cool:
  14. 13 at bass, 14 added on guitar (almost exactly one year into bass, i decided it would be helpful to learn guitar too) so now i've been playing guitar for about 7 months. its really weird though, i can play guitar better then people who have been playing for 2 years, and they've been playing "seriously" meaning not half @$$ing it, and not practicing. i think bass really really helped me pick up guitar.

i wanna learn piano too, cause for some reason, every REAL musician can play piano, at least it seems that way to me, so it would be cool to learn how to play piano too.
  15. I played guitar when I was 16.I played Southern Rock,Classic Rock and Heavy Metal for five years before switching to bass.It was the best decision I ever made!!!
  16. Funkster

Apr 6, 2000
    Wormtown, MA
    Started playing guitar in 1976 and switched to bass fulltime in 1977 and never looked back but I still play a little guitar and piano & sing.
  17. Erlendur Már

Erlendur Már

May 24, 2000
    The first instrument I tried was piano..I didn´t like it so I quit. When I was 12 I started on guitar, and when I was 14 years old I picked up the coolest instrument in the world, BASS!!
  18. Started piano at 11, upright bass at 12, Electric bass at 13, tuba at 14, guitar at 15,drums at 16, and I'm still trying to get it right.
  19. geo?

Mar 29, 2000
    My first instrument was my voice, then piano (when I was about 7) and bass when I turned 14.

20. The flut"o"phone was my first instrument. Boy could I play a hot rendition of "Mary had a little lamb".