Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Begginer To Immediate Metal Bass Help

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by davehunt, Jan 10, 2004.

1. davehunt

davehunt

Jan 10, 2004
    I have been learning bass since last summer, and I am now at the stage where I want to write my own music and join a band, I would say I am the stage where I can say that I can "play" the bass guitar and have mastered the majority of the theory behind playing. I was thinking that I may require a better guitar to improve the quality of my bass lines. The bass I currently have (also my first one) cost me £130 ($240) and it is a Westfield Jazz Bass. It is in pretty good condition apart from a few minor dints to the back, but I seem to be a psychologically put off by the fact that it is called a "Jazz bass" as I want to make metal bass lines. Anyway, I was wondering if someone could give me a few pointers of what features I should be looking for on a bass that is suited for nu metal/speed metal music and what is a reliable brand of guitar.

I would be willing to spend max £350 ($645). I would probably be buying from one of two of the local stores and so if you are a little bored or something then I would be grateful if you looked over at their websites to tell me if you can see anything that would be good for me:

http://www.dawsonsonline.com/acatalog/Bass_Guitarsnew.html

http://www.micromusic.co.uk/bass.htm

Thanks in advance,
    Dave

2. JMX

JMX Vorsprung durch Technik

Sep 4, 2000
    Cologne, Germany
    Jazz bass is just a model name.
    The Fender Jazz bass is the most recorded bass in metal history IME.

Check out a Made in Mexico Fender Jazz, they're pretty nice for the buck.

3. notabob

notabob

Sep 20, 2003
    cincinnati ohio
    what she said

http://www.dawsonsonline.com/acatalog/dm_00049999.htm

or, if you really want to be metal

http://www.dawsonsonline.com/acatalog/dm_00056719.htm

they are both in your price range. a jazz bass is a good bass for metal. the first one is good and just inside your price range, the second one was a joke, but i think it would be really awesome to have one for special occassions.

if ur ok with not playing it first, you might check the classified section here or ebay. always good deals. i saw a mim fender jazz for $225 USD on the classified section here earlier today. i would check it out if i were u.

4. JMX

JMX Vorsprung durch Technik

Sep 4, 2000
    Cologne, Germany
    Just for the record, I'm a guy :D

5. appler

appler Guest

If you're comfortable playing on a Jazz bass, go for the Fender Standard Jazz bass. For metal, I've had a lot of good results with Spector basses. They have a Performance series that is a great deal for the price.http://www.spectorbass.com/NewFiles/performanceseries.html (That Holoflash finish rocks!)

6. Metal Mitch

Metal Mitch

Jul 14, 2003
    NJ
    By whom, may I ask? Can you give some examples?

Off the top of my head I can only think of 2 metal recordings with what sounded like a Jazz, and I can't verify that it was. FWIW they were both European if that means anything as far as trends in instrument selection.

I've seen well over a thousand metal bands live and never once have I seen a Jazz or a Spector onstage.

Disclaimer: Pantera doesn't count, because when we opened for them Rex was still playing a Jackson.

Davehunt> Although you could use ANY bass to play metal, you're absolutely right - a Jazz is not a metal bass. If you use the search feature, you'll find several threads in this forum discussing metal basses.

If you're limiting your search to what's available at those 2 stores -

The P bass has always been used in both metal and punk. You can't go wrong there because you can use it for anything, and it's a great "first real bass" for any bassist... unless they want a Jazz ;)

If you want something "more metal" than a P, this is the one you should be looking at:

http://www.dawsonsonline.com/acatalog/dm_00045908.htm

Any bass with that P/J pickup configuration will give you more of a metal sound than a Jazz, and more versatility than a P.

Lots of nu-metal guys play Warwick. I don't even consider that stuff metal, but if that's the sound you're looking for you may find it there.

Outside the selection of those 2 stores, you should realize BC Rich and Ibanez rule the world of metal bass. The good BC Rich models are way out of your (and my) price range, but you could look for a Ibanez SR800 or BTB400. Don't bother with the lower end SR series.

Right before the new year there were a couple of killer deals on discontinued models through some online stores. You could find either a ESP F204 or a Jackson KBX or KB1 for about $350 US. But now that I'm looking, it seems like the F204s are all gone. ESP probably pulled the plug on the blowout after the new year.

I spoke with The Bass Place last week and they only have 2 of the KB1s left. One is up on ebay right now -

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=2371333378&category=4713

so if you want one of those new, you'll need to act fast. Be sure to email them to see if they'll ship overseas.

Hope this helps, and have fun!

7. Jack

Jack

Sep 6, 2003
    Newcastle, UK
    The Ibanez Soundgear is top of the range. Look up the the Soundgear Extreme Stuff (SRX) works for me! :D

8. notabob

notabob

Sep 20, 2003
    cincinnati ohio
    sorry, my bad. i guess the avatar through me for a ride.

9. darkspec

darkspec

Jan 2, 2003
    Cleveland Ohio
    Just to put my thoughts in, I get bashed everytime I get on stage for pulling out my jazz bass, I usally ignore the people. But after we play I dont hear no complaints. My jazz has never let me down yet, then again... I got some Dimarzio Ultra Jazz pickups and a bad ass bridge. Plus I drop tune a couple of steps and bost the lows. I guess metal is only eye candy... I must say though, A pbass rocks for metal. Im currently looking at getting a 6 string from rondo and putting some EMG pickups in it...Should be good enough to settle the metalheads eyes, and ears for that matter.

One more thing, screw BC rich, I hate the way their basses play and feel. They look nice, but are crap...unless its one of their custom shop models.

Schecter is also mentioned alot when it comes to metal...you should check them out also.

10. christle

christle Supporting Member

Jan 26, 2002
    Winnipeg, MB
    My vote goes for the P-bass. When I used to play in metal bands I used BC Rich, Ibanez, Yamaha, and Peavey. I think you should go with what plays best for you and let your playing speak for itself.

Dan

11. Nickelback's bassist uses Spector basses with a Sansamp RBI and Peavey cabinets. That will give you an idea as to how a Spector could sound.

12. You might not think of them as "metal" but one well-known rock band's bassist used a Fender Jazz. His name was John Paul Jones, and the band was Led Zeppelin.

Beside, the sound is important, not the concept that "I've gotta use this axe or that amp because that's what all the metal bands use" Don't get caught up in the brand name or image thing.

13. I would take a good look at that Peavey Grind that they have at Dawson's (mostly because I've been wanting to try one but there aren't any around here). Like everyone else has said, having a "Jazz bass" doesn't mean you can't play metal, but maybe something fresh will help you be more creative.

14. Metal Mitch

Metal Mitch

Jul 14, 2003
    NJ
    Nickelback is about as metal as... Journey.

I'm sure anything plugged into a Sansamp could sound good.

I've had to play through Peavey cabs as backline, and they're the absolute worst I've ever heard.

15. artistanbul

artistanbul Nihavend Longa Vita Brevis

Apr 15, 2003
    Turkey-Istanbul
    P-basses ARE metal basses. especially old school. but still I think if you could juuust squeeze out a little more dough you can get yourself a serious metal (and still serious in all types of music) spector czech. You'll thank me later. And apart from the "metal bass" cliché if you could tell me which sound you like as in "I want the tool sound" or "I want the pantera sound" and so forth. Still still, just for the sake of metal basses I think ESP basses will do your thing. Especially mentally.

16. artistanbul

Apr 15, 2003
    Turkey-Istanbul
    Or maybe you could get a spector REX for the looks. ;)

17. Or then you could just screw the "rules" and have your own, unique sound and style. My guitarist friend plays black metal with a friggin´ telecaster! Like darkspec he always gets bashed for it, people say it looks ridiculous. I think he looks and sounds way cooler than any standard Jackson/ESP/Ibanez/whatever-playing metal guy.

But if originality is not preferred, I think any black bass that more or less resembles P-bass fits the bill.

18. Kelu

Kelu

Dec 6, 2002
    Lille in France
    I would go for a Precision bass.
    Or a musicman

19. artistanbul

Apr 15, 2003
    Turkey-Istanbul
    yeah.
    check this out
    [​IMG] in bass emporium it sells for 600 bucks. It seems like a good buy. Metal too :)

20. Kelu

Kelu

Dec 6, 2002
    Lille in France
    Its a SUB???