Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

begginers amp

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by kirbywrx, Aug 3, 2001.

1. kirbywrx

kirbywrx formerly James Hetfield

Jul 27, 2000
    Melbourne, Australia.
    hey
    ive been playing for 12 months and i have a 15 watt practise amp. i want to get a new amp but i dont want to get involved with head and cabneits and all that stuff yet. i was think around the lines of a marshall 100 watt or something....but im open for suggestions. i play in a band at school and i use the schools Peavy there. i think that is a 100 watt one as well. so thats kinda what i want. nothing less that 100 watt. i was just wondering if some other bassists that know a bit more about amps than me can recomend some good brands. i have heard that peavy are good and laney i think it was. and mesa-boogie are good but they are really expensive! but yeah
    thanks guys for your help
    kirby

2. Freakapotamus9

Freakapotamus9

Jun 20, 2001
    Nebraska
    i own an SWR WM15, and i absolutely love it. it was exactly what i was looking for, and i got a steal on it ( thanks fenton, where ever you are :) ) . you mentioned a peavey. if you like it a lot, go for it. my school also has a peavey, and that thing is built like a tank. it takes a lot of abuse ( from lesser bassists :D :D ) , and is still going strong. by the way, whats your price range??? i got my SWR for $475, and i would assume peaveys are around there. i liked the fender bassman series myself. pretty good prices too. try a bunch of stuff and see what you like. keep us posted, good luck.

3. kirbywrx

kirbywrx formerly James Hetfield

Jul 27, 2000
    Melbourne, Australia.
    my price range....hmm....lets see.......nothing less than 300 up to about 600-650my folks said if i get a good report at the end of the year they will pay half so thats a bonus
    yeah so ahuh thnks for your help freaktomomous
    still open for suggestions

4. If you want combos, try as many as possible. I mean its all about what feel good, gives you that right sound. I have heard some combos that i reckon sounded dreadful, but to the owner, its what they were after.

So too, weight is a big thing my dad has a 100watt Fender into a 4X12 combo. its damn heavy and impractical. But it was made in the 1960's so who cares right!

Yeah think about transport too. afterall, no point in going to a gig if you can't get it there... or out the shop. lol

:D:D

Merls

5. lo-end

lo-end

Jun 15, 2001
    PA
    check out the Ampeg B2. It is a 200 watt combo amp with a 15" speaker. It has a whole bunch of nifty professional features like an effects loop, a preamp in, a 350watt speaker out and a speakon jack. Very nice second amp. I just saved up enough money to go buy it and I will sometime this week. It is around $600 and has an excellent sound, IMO. Check it out at www.ampeg.com and play it at your local music store if they have it.

6. barroso

barroso

Aug 16, 2000
    Italia
    check out the ampeg b 100r too. it's my favorite!