Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Beggining bassist = beggining amp help

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by slick519, Aug 19, 2001.

1. slick519

slick519

Aug 11, 2001
    Salem, Or
    well, you guys at talk bass helped me choose my first bass, so i was wondering, whats a good beginning amp? all i need right now is somethin to practice on, and maybe somthin to jam with my friends a little.

as i was lookin in the musicians friend catalog, i saw a 20w amp for only 40 bucks! so i was thinkin that i might get that one, but if you guys can lead me onto a better amp, or to tell me that that amp is a peice of crap, it would be much appreciated!

by the way, if you would like to sell me a good practice amp, or even better, give me one;) that would also be much appreciated.

since my purchase of my new bass, the amp will have to be cheap (100 or below):(

well, thanks for all the help,

2. FalsehoodBass

FalsehoodBass

Jul 22, 2001
    Denver, CO
    with just $100.. my advice would be to go find a good used combo that you can play before you buy. I would never buy used speakers or amps without playing them first. Im sure plenty of people have taken the risk and ended up fine, but I wouldn't. I am sure you could save some money and get a bigger amp if you go used as opposed to mail order or internet stuff. My first amp was a used crate 25 Watt combo.. and i still use it at home.. its rad. Definately worth looking around for

3. Mike N

Mike N Missing the old TB

Jan 28, 2001
    New York
    Check your local classifieds,you may be suprised at what you can find.I bought a Peavey TNT160 for $60,and five years later Im still using it.

4. Aaron

Aaron

Jun 2, 2001
    Bellingham, WA
    i would get something that had a 10+ inch speaker.

5. nofxbasspunk87

nofxbasspunk87

Aug 20, 2001
    I have a 15w squier amp that you can get for 40 bucks me and my friends ally practice with and it kills my friends amp in tone and volume. just a suggestion.

6. Bass18

Bass18 Guest

Jul 21, 2001
    Australia
    A Peavey 20 watt Microbass combo is a good option. They are reliable, sound good and built like a tank. You should be able to get one for fairly cheap.