1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Beggining bassist = beggining amp help

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by slick519, Aug 19, 2001.

1. slick519

slick519

Aug 11, 2001
    Salem, Or
    well, you guys at talk bass helped me choose my first bass, so i was wondering, whats a good beginning amp? all i need right now is somethin to practice on, and maybe somthin to jam with my friends a little.

as i was lookin in the musicians friend catalog, i saw a 20w amp for only 40 bucks! so i was thinkin that i might get that one, but if you guys can lead me onto a better amp, or to tell me that that amp is a peice of crap, it would be much appreciated!

by the way, if you would like to sell me a good practice amp, or even better, give me one;) that would also be much appreciated.

since my purchase of my new bass, the amp will have to be cheap (100 or below):(

well, thanks for all the help,

2. FalsehoodBass

FalsehoodBass

Jul 22, 2001
    Denver, CO
    with just $100.. my advice would be to go find a good used combo that you can play before you buy. I would never buy used speakers or amps without playing them first. Im sure plenty of people have taken the risk and ended up fine, but I wouldn't. I am sure you could save some money and get a bigger amp if you go used as opposed to mail order or internet stuff. My first amp was a used crate 25 Watt combo.. and i still use it at home.. its rad. Definately worth looking around for

3. Mike N

Mike N Missing the old TB Supporting Member

Jan 28, 2001
    Spencerport, New York
    Check your local classifieds,you may be suprised at what you can find.I bought a Peavey TNT160 for $60,and five years later Im still using it.

4. Aaron

Aaron

Jun 2, 2001
    Bellingham, WA
    i would get something that had a 10+ inch speaker.

5. nofxbasspunk87

nofxbasspunk87

Aug 20, 2001
    I have a 15w squier amp that you can get for 40 bucks me and my friends ally practice with and it kills my friends amp in tone and volume. just a suggestion.

6. Bass18

Bass18 Guest

Jul 21, 2001
    Australia
    A Peavey 20 watt Microbass combo is a good option. They are reliable, sound good and built like a tank. You should be able to get one for fairly cheap.