Beggining With Multi Efeects

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by Poppin Fingers, Oct 10, 2004.

1. undefined im a begginer, but i know quite a lot about basses. i was wondering if you thought buying a Boss ME-50B of ebay maby sencond hand is worth it. i was thinking of this because my amp is really quite basic, bass trebble and mid. :bassist:
  2. Samurai

Sep 13, 2003
    The ME-50b is an amazing unit, best sounding multi-effect I think. But the question is what exactly are you looking for with the pedal, just a better EQ, cause if so there are better ways to do that. However, if you want effects also I say it is totally worth the money.
  3. David Wilson

David Wilson Administrator Staff Member Administrator Supporting Member

Oct 14, 2002
    Lower Westchester, NY
    yup, the boss is a great multi-fx - great value for money. As Samurai said, if you only want more advanced eq then there are other units that will do that cheaper.
  4. yeah im looking for effects because at the moment my bass is starting to sound quite bland
  5. xyllion

xyllion Commercial User

Jan 14, 2003
    San Jose, CA, USA
    Owner, Looperlative Audio Products
    Word of caution here, many beginners start using effects to cover up their lack of experience. It doesn't work. If you can't make the material sound good clean, then effects really don't improve it. Effects are wonderful tools and used by a <b>practiced</b> musician can help make music much more interesting. Just remember that there are no short cuts to becoming an accomplished musician. Effects don't change that. If you think your sound is bland now. You will find it bland even after adding effects.
  6. Squidfinger

Squidfinger I wish I could sing like Rick Danko.

Jan 7, 2004
    Shreveport LA
    Great point Xyllion.
  7. johnvice

Sep 7, 2004
    Good luck finding a used one !

I love my ME-50b. I replaced a rack full of gear with it as it did all my rack stuff did (tuner, delay, compressor) and more! (and a lot less hiss with just one unit!)

A friend of mine, who is a beginning bass player said "Wow, your really know how to use that thing (ME-50B). How long did it take to learn it."

My response was "20 years". I'm not kidding.

I have used compressors and delays for 20 years. Heck, I even had one of those Electro-Harmonix envelope filter pedals for bass (Micro Bass Synthesizer). This made it really easy to adapt to the ME-50b as I knew exactly what I was trying to get out the effects I knew. Over the years, I had tried the stuff that the ME-50b emulates so I can appreciate what the designers were trying to accomplish.

While you can get really cool sounds out the ME-50b and other similar devices, many of the sounds are useless. I focus on the subtleties of the sound. (i.e. listen to Geddy in YYZ: the time delay (chorus) and distortion are barely noticeable but nevertheless, enhance the tonal characteristics for the particular song.)

Chris Chaney of Jane's Addiction has a monstrous rig of gear. He said in an interview that you're better of learning a Jamerson line than learning effects. I would agree: first be able to play along with Jamerson (who achieved remarkable dynamic consistency without compression) before you start with effects.