Beginer bassist should i upgrade my bass?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by fuzzybuzzy, Dec 6, 2004.

1. fuzzybuzzy

Dec 4, 2004
    I have a Peavey Milestone II and a crate pt15.I have been playing for about 2 months and a half. For this thread please list what i should get for it how much it is and were to get it. Thank you.
  2. You can't really recomend something like this my friend. As we could recomend something that was easy for us to play but you might find difficult to play.

My suggestion, go into your bass shop and sit in the bass section for an hour or two and try as many basses as possibly and by the one your comfortable with. I often find learning a hard riff before hand and trying that one riff at least once on each bass is a good idea, and think about going for the one you played the riff the best on.

If all else fails and u still need help from us, a price range would help methinks.
  3. Alexander

Aug 13, 2001
    Seattle, WA
    Right - if you could be a bit more specific in terms of what you might be looking for, styles of music you play, how much money you might be wanting to spend, etc. That would help.
  4. fuzzybuzzy

Dec 4, 2004
    Well I'm only eleven, so I really don't have much money. I'd be willing to spend up to $200, and I play rhcp, the strokes, and my own stuff. Also, if you have any suggestions of good bassists to check out, please tell me, as I just started playing.

Thanks! :bassist:
  5. SteveC

Nov 12, 2004
    North Dakota
    I would suggest you spend some more time learning to play before you worry about gear.

Are you taking lessons? Your money will be better spent there for the next year or so.

If it's set up properly, there's nothing wrong with that Peavey you have. I've had a number of students use that bass for a year or more before stepping up to a better bass.
  6. Most inexpensive basses can be quite playable up to a high level of expertise, if the user is serious about his craft and also takes the time to have the instrument tweeked occasionally by a pro or experienced user.

Unless it is complete garbage, keep the bass and learn to use it with confidence. Eventually, you WILL grow out of it...but never sell just to sell...(leave that for us...errr...adults...yeah, that's it...hehe :D )
  7. Vox Populi

Vox Populi Reggae Loving Honkey

Jan 27, 2004
    Poulsbo, WA
    I've only played for about a year, so I'm also a relative beginner, but I'd suggest sticking with your current gear. I've been playing my Peavey Millennium BXP 4 and it works fine for the skill level I'm at.

And with $200, you'll just end up with another beginner bass like a Millennium BXP, Squier, or Rogue.
  8. Suckbird

Suckbird Banned

May 4, 2004
    I would spare the money for about 1year, maybe you should upgrade you amp first if you want to join a band.
    I've been playing for 1year now and i'm probably going to buy a used bass from ebay.
  9. jellybass

jellybass Guest

Nov 8, 2004
    The bass sounds like it would be fine for another year or so at least. I would also suggest lessons and an amp upgrade first before you replace the bass, you should be able to get some decent mileage out of that model. In terms of who you should listen to, listen to every bass player you can. Seriously, you can pick up something from any bass player you hear.
  10. I played my first Hohner for 5 years, before switching to better piece. In that time I changed 3 amps...

Save for lessons, books, CDs, videos... :bassist:

11. flea claypool

flea claypool

Jun 27, 2004
    Ya man after 2 and a half months you can barely move your fingers and youll regret spending the money if you lack the skill....STICK AT IT

as for bassists for 11 year olds listen to sam rivers of limp biscuit he is one of my faves and of course les claypool of primus..... i dont think you will be much inot the clark and wooten scene.............YET
  12. Minger

Mar 15, 2004
    Rochester, NY
    Actyually, as for moving your fingers.. I've been playing for 2 months and my fingers can go pretty quickly, gotta need fast fingers to play ska songs....
  13. fuzzybuzzy

Dec 4, 2004
    thanks for all your responses. I know that I don't need a new bass at this time, so I guess I meant to ask for any upgrades to make to my bass (effects, pickups, etc.) I won't get another amp just yet, but that will be the next major upgrade I probably make to my current rig.

Thanks again for welcoming me as a "newbie"! :hyper:

Any other bands or artists that you would recomend besides Primus and RHCP? I don't care if it's funk or jazz, I just want something to play! (pop punk excluded ;) )
  14. 'JC'

Mar 14, 2000
    As others have said, lessons would be good, but if you're determined to spend cash on upgrading your rig, I'd look into an amp such as a used Ampeg BA112 or SWR LA12 based on your budget.

Not sure what music you like, but some bands you should look at:

Dream Theater - a heavy progressive rock band, with a very technique savvy 6 stringer in John Myung

Rush - The band that started Prog Rock. Geddy Lee is the 4 stringer here.

Niacin - a jazz trio with Billy Sheehan taking his 80's shred grooves into a fusion setting.
  15. WillPlay4Food

WillPlay4Food Now With More Metal! Staff Member Supporting Member

Apr 9, 2002
    Orbiting HQ
    Here's a few musical ideas. Take or leave as you will:

Geezer Butler / Black Sabbath - Awesome bassist who lays a mean groove. Shouldn't be too hard to learn with a bit of effort.

Steve Harris / Iron Maiden - More awesome grooves but you'll have to work on your technique to rattle off his machine gun riffs.

Ryan Martinie / Mudvayne - I consider Ryan a virtuoso as he combines crazy techniques with heavy grooves. You can hear jazz influences in many of his grooves.

Jazz: Can't help you too much here as I listen to this on the radio so I don't know many band names but here's a couple anyway

Charles Mingus - I have his 'Mingus Ah Um' album and it is very worth picking up. Great straight ahead jazz to help get those jazz changes in your head and under your fingers.

Ricky Showalter / Liquid Soul - Mixture of soul, R&B, rap & funk. Great listening and great grooves.

Progressive Rock: Two names you should know

Geddy Lee / Rush - Just an awesome bass player and an awesome band. Most anything by these guys is good IMHO.

Chris Squire / Yes - Another awesome bass player, and he plays with a pick! :eek: Just a little joke for all the pick hataz out there.

There's way too many more awesome players to list but this may help you out. I'm sure other people could chime in here as well with their favorite players but really, you can learn new grooves / techniques from just about any song with bass in it. Heck, sometimes I just play along with commercials or network identification jingles. Comedy Central has a few network identification bass riffs that are pretty cool and easy to learn.

Just immerse yourself in any music you get your hands on and work out the bass lines. You'll see your ability to connect different notes to their fret on the neck improve vastly if you take the time to work things out by ear (in other words, stay away from TAB for now).
  16. WillPlay4Food

WillPlay4Food Now With More Metal! Staff Member Supporting Member

Apr 9, 2002
    Orbiting HQ
    Oh yeah, check out Pink Floyd as well. This band knows how to get their money's worth out of every single note they play.
  17. jellybass

jellybass Guest

Nov 8, 2004
    I still suggest listening to as many bassists as possible. When I first started out, I was a Billy Sheehan fanatic and I was determined, and I suceeded, to play just like him. After a while however, I realized I couldn't really play, but I was great at mimicing. I bought Billy Sheehan's instructional tape and he suggested not listening to him at the outset, but to listen to guys like Cliff Williams (AC/DC), Michael Anthony (VH) and other guys who lay down a great groove. I find myself playing quarter notes more when I play now then soloing like a fiend. Find one guy you aspire to sound like and find one guy you can sound like and you'll find yourself happily in the middle.
  18. vene-nemesis

vene-nemesis Banned

Jul 17, 2003
    Bilbao España
    first: get a huge amp (a tube 200-350w head with some cabinet, well those werent so huge) so you'l be able to get better sound and tone when learning techniques, cheap basses are also good for learning i have myself a MIM jazz V and i learned slap (now learning to do it on 16ths, whiling to learn 32nds), also some tapping but nothing like Stu hamm the action of my bass is too high to play linus and lucy.

About bands:

SKA: no doubt and less than jake.

reggae: sublime easy and wonderfull basslines.

311 also and all the ones named before

never play SOAD with a pick.

BTW: i've been playing for 2 years now and changed my rig (amp and bass) once, x-mas is here so im buying my third bass and a nice tube amp head.
  19. vene-nemesis

vene-nemesis Banned

Jul 17, 2003
    Bilbao España
    exepting for michael anthony (who i have seen playing a nice natural stingray) the other 2 are endorsers of yamaha. do you own any of their sig moddels?
  20. Eoghan

Dec 5, 2004
    Look into some Victor Wooten, some John Myung, some Marcus Miller, Jaco Pastorius, John Patitucci - there are many