Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

beginer please help me

Discussion in 'General Instruction [BG]' started by bully, Feb 18, 2003.

1. bully

bully

Feb 18, 2003
    please help.just got a bass guitar and amp from shop,its a aria pro11 magna series and a 16 amp kustom bass amp.can anyone tell me wot settings i need to have on my equalizer on the amp and on the tone dials on the guitar,middle high etc,sometimes the sound seems muffled and sometimes it sounds very buzzy.any help would be very helpfull cos o cant seem to get the adjustment right as im a complete beginer,also is the guitar and amp a decent make? etc,

2. A starting place for your amp settings is called "flat". Turn all of your EQ knobs so that they are in their middle setting - usually all of the knob indicators are pointing straight up. From there, you can adjust the treble, mids and bass until you find a tone that you like. Make sure your tone and volume knobs are turned up on your bass.

As for the buzz, it could be from the bass (fret buzz) or from your amp (distortion). If it is the bass then you need to get it set-up (See the SETUP forum). If it is the amp, you are probably driving it too hard (too much volume) - turn down the gain knob. Your amp may be underpowered if this is the case.

3. Nice post Rabid Granny :D

Also, you'll hear some people say they "boost" their mids.

All this means is, you take that "middle" knob on the amp, and turn it to 10. Take bass and treble down a few notches.

Personally, I like mine at:

Treble - 3
    Bass - 10
    Middle - 3

But that's just me ;)

4. rickbass

rickbass Supporting Member

Don't fault your bass. IMO and that of instrument makers, a poor quality/mediocre instrument through a good amp always sounds far better than a good instrument through a poor quality/mediocre amp.

Although I know I may sound as brutally honest as Simon on "American Idol", - no, Kustoms are junk. If you don't believe that, just go to a local music store with your bass and tell them you want to try it through an Ampeg (they'll typically have them and they will let you do that --- it's THEIR JOB!). I don't own an Ampeg nor do I aspire to own one, but I think you will hear a definite difference in the quality of your sound. Peavey is another ubiquitous brand that rates comparison with your Kustom.

Or, you can go nuts and try your bass through an Eden or an SWR. I'll wager you won't believe the difference.

5. Actually, boosting is just "turning up", but not necessarily to 10 or whatever your amp goes up to.