Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Beginer's Bass?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by cffrocks, Mar 24, 2004.

1. cffrocks

cffrocks

Mar 24, 2004
    I am considering purchasing my first bass. Having played guitar for 25 years, I want to expand my horizons. Does anyone want to give me their advice about what to get. My price range is under $500. Brands/models that are good? Brands/models to be leary of? 4 string or 5 string? Active or passive? :help: :bassist:

2. Marley's Ghost

Marley's Ghost Gold Supporting Member

Feb 9, 2002
    Tampa, FL
    What kind of music do you play?

Some ideas:
    500 range - MTD Kingston
    Essex - Brice @ Rondo music -cheaper

3. TxBass

TxBass

Jul 3, 2002
    Frisco, Texas
    you'll get tons of this if you run a search, but Rondo Music sells tons of very solid basses at more than reasonable prices. I just bought a 5-string Jazz bass from them and for $150 I would say it matches many triple in price. Of course different strokes for different folks, but it's worth a look and some research.

www.rondomusic.bigstep.com

good luck with it! (used is always a good way to get a great bass too...)

:)

4. tkarter

tkarter

Jan 1, 2003
    kansas
    Look at the Ibanez SRX series and find one of those that you like. They are better than the Essex or Squier offerings. Or go used MIM Fender find one that plays like the best there is.
    My opinion and I hope it helps

tk

5. Dr. Cheese

Dr. Cheese Gold Supporting Member

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis
    I think very highly of Yamahas. The BB404 & BB405 are $300 and $400 respectively and they sound really great to me.

6. E-rock

E-rock

Mar 3, 2004
    Chicago, IL
    You can get a new Mexican Fender bass for about $419 at several online stores. It would make a great beginner bass.

7. I also think very highly of Yamahas. My first bass was a BB3000S and it was all I needed for my first 15 years of playing. I got it for $450 slightly used.

I bet these are great for the money... or the five string version...
    http://www.musiciansfriend.com/srs7...040527125/g=home/search/detail/base_id/107017

Watch out for "too cheap" of a bass. You don't have to spend a lot, but you should like your bass enough to be inspired to pick it up and play it.

8. cffrocks, what brand guitar have you played for the past 25 years? You might consider chosing the same brand of bass, at least, you will know what quality you are getting and you may feel comfortable switching to the bottom end!

Having said that, I'm a Fender freak, and I would suggest looking for a good used Jazz or P bass depending on the style of music you like! Ebay is a good place to get great deals!

There are some very nice basses for sale on the Talk bass for sale forum, check out some of those adds!

[​IMG]
    Treena

9. andertone

andertone Supporting Member

Mar 22, 2000
    Southwest USA
    Howdy:

For a first bass, you can't go wrong with a Godin BG-IV, they go on ebay for 250-300 for the older EMG loaded model. I have this one, and it gets played more than my alembic rogue or sadowsky standard 4 because it's a nail pounder, and never seems to walk away at gigs. Sounds great too!
    Neck like a P-bass, active EMG preamp, and decent tuners/bridge

Of course when I have a high profile gig the botiques always come out <grin>

Phil Anderson
    Tucson, AZ

10. craigb

craigb G&L churnmeister Supporting Member

Good brands/models? Well, one of my personal favorite brands is G&L and all models are good. You can find used US G&Ls for under $500. At under $500 you will probably find Legacy/LB-100 basses (like a Fender Precision with a "vintage-like" alnico pickup), SB-1/SB-2 basses (using one or two G&L MFD pickups in P, J-J or P-J configurations) and possibly a G&L Climax bass (very similar to a Musicman Sterling). All 4-stringers. I'm not sure you could find a US G&L 5-stringer for under $500. All these are passive except the Climax.

They vary in neck dimensions and pickup types - but I have yet to have a bad sounding or bad playing G&L (and I've had a few). The G&L Tributes (made in Korea) are also good (not as good as the US ones, but a lot cheaper) if price is a driving factor. But since G&Ls have fairly low resale value (which seems to be rising lately) a used US G&L can usually be had for not much more than a new Tribute.

For buying new the December issue of BP had a review of 25 4-strings under $800, their Bargain Bass Blitz. I wouldn't buy solely on their reviews but it can point you at some to check out.

11. Like the first poster, I'm a musician moving into bass from other instruments (so I don't want a really low-end junior high school bass) yet $500 for a bass alone is too much for me. I couldn't help noticing that Musician's Friend has the Yamaha RBX774 on clearance for $250. That sounds damn cheap to me but I know little about basses.

Anyone here ever own one of the Yamahas? Sounds promising...

(p.s. any comments on the Ibanez SR810 also appreciated, though it's $400 instead of $250)

Thanks,

Erik