Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Beginig a bass

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by Shomy, Mar 2, 2005.

1. Hi everybody!

I have finnaly found the courage to start building my first bass. :hyper: I was thinking on starting small, nothing fancy. A Jazz like bass. I wanted to go maple for neck, and ash for body. But there is this beautiful quarter-sawn ash plank, which caught my eye, and i just wanted to hear what do you think about using ash for neck. Any expiriences?

thanx

2. teej

teej

Aug 19, 2004
    Sheffield, AL 35660
    I've never heard of using ash for a neck. It's softer than maple, though, so it may not work too well. Do you know what kind of ash it is (i.e. swamp ash, white ash, etc.)?

3. Suburban

Suburban

Jan 15, 2001
    lower mid Sweden
    Ash will do fine as a neck, if you don't mind neck dive.
    It's heavy...

4. teej

teej

Aug 19, 2004
    Sheffield, AL 35660
    I found a few pictures of an ash bass neck -- What do you know... it DOES work!

5. any links or pics? i' am highly interested. If i make an all ash bass there will be a increase in weight but also it will have a bit brighter sound which is what i'm looking for

6. Nigel Tufnel

Nigel Tufnel

Dec 8, 2004
    If it is hard ash it will work fine. Swamp ash is far too light to make a neck out of. I'm pretty sure that fodera offers ash necks, so you could ask around and see what people say about those.

7. teej

teej

Aug 19, 2004
    Sheffield, AL 35660
    An all-ash bass.....
    I think a '51 P-bass reissue or MM-style pup would go good with that.

8. Could you please elaborate a little bit. Why that particular bass and that particular pup