Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

begining bass player

Discussion in 'Jazz Technique [DB]' started by lil_bass_player, Sep 28, 2003.

1. ok, since the begining of ths year, i've been playing the string bass. I can't get the F sharp often, and when i do, my hand hurts for like a week. Help?:bawl:

2. nonsqtr

nonsqtr The emperor has no clothes!

Aug 29, 2003
    Burbank CA USA
    Hi there, you just kinda have to keep doing it for a while. You're probably exercising muscles you never even knew you had. After a few weeks it'll get better.

It's also possible that if it doesn't get better, you might be able to benefit from a couple of lessons (you know, some pointers in technique and that kind of thing). Hand and finger position is very important when playing the bass. You can easily damage your wrist if it's consistently in a stressful position.

3. One thing you need to learn, the 1st finger has its own ligament, the 2nd finger has its own ligament, your 3rd and 4th fingers SHARE a ligament you'll instantly feel better once you start to use your fingering properly....time to do it right, it's never too late to do it right and you'll notice the difference right away...maybe ice your hand to get it to heal more. You need to learn this as you start because they do not teach this in music clas in school, so learn it now!

:rolleyes: Treena

4. stuie86

stuie86

May 9, 2003
    mckinney, tx
    well flipping christ, i wish someone had told me that when i started playing. some of you may have noticed ive been asking alot of Q's about my pinky(two years and still cant use it!!!!)

well ive got alot ALOT of extra time on my hands right now and ive been running scales day in and day out(yes with all four fingers) in hopes to get it some action on the fret board, but i need to change my whole hand form(the pinky is used to curling up and staying out of the way)

on topic: scales are my best freind, and they should be your to, if done right they will help your straight, stamina, speed and detstaraty(CS)

5. Frank Martin

Frank Martin Bitten by the luthiery bug...

Oct 8, 2001
    Budapest, Hungary, EU
    well...

yes, the above statement is true, but this doesnt mean that you shouldnt use your ring-finger alone: that one is stronger, but when you play with the little-figer, put the ring behind it to help reinforce your hold. And dont lift your little finger too high, it will hurt and you cant use it fast enough.

6. You should be using one finger per fret or per note on Upright. Proper technique is key.

Playing with a Pick
    [​IMG]

Pivoting Up
    [​IMG]

Back View
    [​IMG]

;) Treena

7. eh, did you mean electric???

8. No, this technique can and is being used on all basses, electric and upright.
    Christian McBride teaches the pivot technique.

Everyone's favorite young acoustic bassist of the 1990s, Christian McBride's large sound and expertise, both with plucked and bowed solos, recall Ray Brown and particularly Paul Chambers. He actually started on electric bass when he was eight and took R&B gigs in high school, but by then he was getting more interested in jazz and playing the acoustic bass. McBride studied at Juilliard (starting in 1989) and then played briefly in the bands of Bobby Watson, Benny Golson, Roy Hargrove, and Freddie Hubbard. He toured with the Benny Green Trio, played duets with Ray Brown at the 1994 Monterey Jazz Festival and recorded his debut as a leader for Verve before touring with his own group in 1995. Family Affair followed in 1998. In 2000, McBride released his most ambitious project, Sci-Fi..

9. HeavyDuty

HeavyDuty Supporting Curmudgeon Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Jun 26, 2000
    Suburban Chicago, IL
    How the &$@# did this end up HERE? Moved.

10. metron

metron Fluffy does not agree

Sep 12, 2003
    Lakewood Colorado
    I was confused by reading responses to this post. Its true that the third finger is the weakest on the hand because of the shared ligament.

Good luck using your third finger on the low position of the upright. I would NOT recommend this.

Traditional technique uses fingers 1 2 and 4 in the lowest positions. Serious strain can result from trying to use your index for F, middle for F#, ring for G, and pinky for G#/Ab. Instead use the first finger for F, middle finger for F# and the pinky at G. Using all four fingers one per note in all positions on the upright is a serious mistake. It depends on the size of your hands to determine where its comfortable to start using the ring finger.

McBride uses the 1 2 4 technique like most double bass players. Gary Karr advocates using the ring finger as early as possible whereas traditional technique only uses it in the last position before the thumb position starts. I like Gary's idea better than the traditional way.

Lastly do not continue to play if you have such a serious strain. That can be very damaging. Hope this helps to clarify things.

11. metron

metron Fluffy does not agree

Sep 12, 2003
    Lakewood Colorado
    Treena this is not correct! The ring finger should NOT be used in the lowest position of a traditional 3/4 sized double bass. Maybe in the secong position for people with large strong hands!!!

Besides you are showing pictures of an electric bass which is easy to use all four fingers at all times...