Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Beginner 2 handed tapping songs

Discussion in 'General Instruction [BG]' started by ahhelpme, Sep 6, 2005.

1. ahhelpme

ahhelpme

Aug 26, 2004
    can anyone reccomend any?

2. just do patterns.... look up tabs to Van Halen or Ozzy... Erruption by Van Halen is pretty popular.

3. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    Agreed. Van Halen's a great way to start tapping.

4. pauljacksonfan

pauljacksonfan

Jun 14, 2005
    Did you mean the comping yourself kind of tapping? In that case you should check out the two latin tumbao tabs I've posted in the thread called "polyrhythmic tapping".

The key to getting the hand indepence you need to play the advanced pieces is practicing each hand seperately until you nail them individually without having to think about it. Latin pieces are great for developing this since they're heavily syncopated and force you to be able to use each hand as an individual voice.

Another good thing to practice is playing something you really know, a C major scale for example, and playing it in both hands simultaneously. Use the same finger in your right hand that you use in your left. With the C major this means starting on the 8th fret on your E-string and 15th fret on the A-string. Try keeping a solid one finger per fret fingering.

This is how I got started, let me know if you need to know anything else.