Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Beginner 5 String

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by cap, Aug 22, 2001.

1. cap

cap

Aug 8, 2001
    Hickam Hawaii
    Hey
    I have been playin bass for a little more than a month and i love it. I am the type to plan ahead so i was wondering if there is a 5 string that is made for beginners. I am thinking bout in the next year or so to buy a new bass.
    Thanks
    Cap

2. Well first off it's great you've become dedicated to the interment. But i was in the same postion as you. I got bored with my 4 string for a month. anyway, master the four string first. then move on to a fiver next.

3. Freaky Fender is right in a sense. (IMO) Get really good with the 4 string and then go to 5. But don't hold off the 5 cuz you think you aren't "good enough". When you practice on a 5 the same 4 strings are there so you get the same practice plus a string.

To answer your question, A Yamaha RBX765 might be right up your alley. They aren't cheap but not ridiculously expensive either. Also, depending on where you live will affect the price. Active electronics. Gold hardware. Fair price. And most importantly...5 strings. Try 'em out.

btw, I have one and love it.

4. Turock

Turock Supporting Member

Apr 30, 2000
    Melnibone
    I'm sorry Freaky, but I don't think that is good advice. I would say... Get the five as soon as possible if that is what you want to play. I see no reason why you should have to "master" the four before going to five.

5. KumoriNeko

KumoriNeko Guest

Mar 27, 2001
    Cincinnati, Ohio, USA
    If by beginner bass you mean cheap, get a Fender MIM Jazz bass. The Jazz 5 is about $380, I don't know if Fender makes a MIM P-bass 5. Squier has a 5 string p-bass, but it has 4 string pickups (to save production costs) I wouldn't recommend it.

6. I agree with Chris here. I don't own a RBX765 but, I've played a few several diferent times, and they are very good sounding basses. I own a Yamaha BB5NII, which is a little less expensive than a RBX765, but sounds great. Check out all the Yamahas; they're very underrated. Being as you're in Hawaii, Yamahas should be as plentiful as pineapples. The MIM Fenders are also worth a look, as are some of the Ibanez. Between you and me; go Yamaha. :cool:

7. Some of the "low end" Ibanez are also good buys. The GSR205 and the SR305 are in the $300-$400 range. Also the Dean Edge Q5 is a nice 5er, at about $450. The Q5 also has a cool burled maple body and nice dual hummbuckers.

But to find what YOU want, go to the guitar shop nearest you and try out every 5 stringer in the store. The one you like the most should be the one you keep.

Rock on
    Eric

8. Hey Eric, look at our posting times. If we had been two jumbo jets...

Mike J.:(

9. Pau

Pau

Dec 8, 2000
    Madrid, Spain
    I agree with turrock. No one will be never good enough to NEED more than 4 strings. So if you wanna buy a 5 strings do it as soon as possible. you just have to think that 5 strings have usually a 35" scale (wider fret spacing) wich is harder to play with than with a 34" scale and it's a little more difficult to slap with them.

10. Ibanez BTB405 is a good choice. MTD Kingston too. Best B's under $1000, period.

Stay away from Ibanez Soundgears and GSR. Yamaha's are good and cheap. Dean are ok if you can stand the neck. Maybe a Spector NS2000/5, no Spector cheaper than that as they aren't as indicative of quality.

11. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

Who has truly mastered the 4 string, anyway? Jaco? Victor Wooten?

:rolleyes:

If you want to play a 5 string, get it as quick as you can, so you can start practicing on it.

12. ebozzz

ebozzz Supporting Member

May 17, 2001
    Denver, Colorado
    I've only been playing since late April of 2001. I bought a 4-string Fender to begin with. I love the bass but it just doesn't give you the that low B. For that reason I started to look at 5 string basses. I wasn't really looking to buy one yet but one fell into my lap at a price that I could not turn down. As of two week ago, I am now the owner of a new 5-string bass!

My next purchase was a good guitar stand. Whenever I practice I pull both instruments out and play one while the other is in the stand. I try to alternate playing each of them for the same amount of time. I've got a long way to go as far as real skills on either of the basses but I'm much better at the 4-string right now. The string spacing on the 5-string is a little different but I haven't felt overwhelmed by it.

I guess what I'm saying is, get the 5-string if you want it but practice on both! You can get a DeArmond Pilot Deluxe 5-string for about $329.00 at Sam Ash (http://www.samash.com). At that price you may not have to wait a year and it's such a value you may not want another 5-string anytime soon!

It's a great bass. 35" scale, neck through construction, soap bar pickups, Mahogany or Ash body and good active electronics with a 3 band EQ. They won't have it on their site. Call or email them for that price.

13. phunky345

phunky345

Jun 20, 2000
    Missoula, MT
    I have to second what Chris J said about the Yamaha rbx-765. I've been playing one for a year, and it is/was my first 5-string, and I'd have to say that it's one of the easiest-playing 5's out there. It has big string spacing, which makes for easy slapping and muting. It looks gorgeous, has a neat battery compartment, and sounds anywhere from warwick-ish to fender-ish.
    But don't take my word for it, there are a lot of other middle-of-the-road 5-strings out there. Try out Aria basses, they make some very cool ones.