1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Beginner amp help

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by thenslee0730, Jul 7, 2014.

1. thenslee0730

thenslee0730

Jul 7, 2014
    I've been playing bass for almost a year now, and I've always been fine with my practice amp I have, but now I'm getting into a band, and i need a new amp. I know almost nothing about amps, so can anyone give me advice on an amp that would be good for performing, and not too pricey?

2. orangejulius3

orangejulius3 Supporting Member

May 6, 2013
    La Habra CA
    Couple questions to help us guide you.

When you say amp, do you mean a combo? Or are you think of a head and cab rig?

What kind of practice amp do you have right now and do you like it, or what don't you like about it?

What kind of music are you getting into?

3. SanDiegoHarry

SanDiegoHarry Banned Supporting Member

Aug 11, 2008
    San Diego, CA
    Decide on what you can afford.
    If that amount is in cash, buy used. If it's only CC, then you're more or less stuck buying new.
    If you are a beginner, you might not have your own car - bass amps tend to be rather big.

The good news is that if you car paying cash, have a truck/car with a hatch, there is a ton of great used kit out there. Don't trust what you see at GC or on line stores - look for older deals. My favorite "beginner" rig for gigging would be a GK400RB head (~$150-$200) and an SWR 4x10 Goliath - $300+ used. That would be a fine rig for years.

But know this: folks will tell you that you can get away with spending $300 on a combo amp that will work for a band - they are wrong. Even a 1x15" combo will be limited. The Fender Rumble series seems very popular right now, but I don't care for combo amps - I like to mix & match my amps & cabs.

4. Agreed pretty much. Tho the new Fender Rumble 200 or 500 have the ability to add an extension speaker to them and sound good. So these area good lightweight option if wanting new gear.
    As above, I'd advise going 2nd hand.
    The GK listed above. Peavey amps and cabs.
    Standard rule of thumb is at least 200-300 watts power.
    And either a 8 ohm 2x12" or 8 ohm 4x10" cab
    Tho a decent 8 ohm 1x15" cab will get you a long way.
    Try and make sure cab is rated at 8 ohms so you can add another 8 ohm one later if you feel you need twice the rig.
    A 4 ohm cab might not allow this add on option later.

5. thenslee0730

thenslee0730

Jul 7, 2014
    Thanks a lot for the help. I play mostly rock/metal like Metallica, Iron Maiden, etc. I was looking at getting a head and cab rig, and my budget is around $500, so I'll definantly look into some used gear. Any tips on a good place to buy used gear?

6. SanDiegoHarry

SanDiegoHarry Banned Supporting Member

Aug 11, 2008
    San Diego, CA
    Yeah - no 4ohm cabs. Not a fan of those at all.
    But 2x12 is a more modern choice - not sure how many cool old examples are out there. There are a TON of great old 4x10s out there, however.

7. Sorken

Sorken

Nov 20, 2013
    SWEDEN

For a 500 you should be able to pick up an older ashdown mag 300, i live in europe where everything is expensive.... and my amp rig has cost me around 500USD and thats after buying an extra cab, so now i got a 300watt 8x10(split into 2 4x10´s) rig for around your budget. It all depends on what you want from it through, but loads of loudness for the money here IMO, and you can alway´s use the speaker cabs of choise, i opted for a 1x15" instead of expanding it with another 4x10 but i happened to stumble across another 4x10 for cheap not far from where i live so thats what i got.

I play thrash metal.

otherwise i recommend the Fender rumble series, i think they come in head/cab setups aswell.

8. I´ll suggest you the GK Backline 600 head amp. It´s cheaper and easy to get some good tones.

For the cabinets I´d say that choose something like GK Backline too, or even Peavey. Peavey has a great solid buidling like a tank. The speaker´s size it´s a personal taste, so only I can say that try ´em and hear ´em.

Easily you can hand over 300 watts, enough for the begginer bassist.