Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Beginner Amp Questions

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by SixString, Aug 1, 2002.

1. SixString

SixString

Jul 20, 2002
    Sorry i'v been palying bass for over a year but have stuck with my iabnez 6 string and 70wat peavey combo and now moving onto a stack .

What i was wondering is What is a Power Amp (whats it for whats it do ect) and what is a Pre Amp (whats it for whats it do ect)

2. Ívar Þórólfsson

Ívar Þórólfsson Mmmmmm... Supporting Member

Apr 9, 2001
    Kopavogur, Iceland
    Beginner amp questions belong in the Amp forum, not Basses.

3. you're STUCK with an ibanez 6-string?

I would think that's a pretty good bass.

Preamp amplifies the sound that comes directly from the pickups, and usually has some EQ settings too. you can connect that to the power amp and the speakers to the amp...

and I just realized that it's completely useless for me to try to explain something about amps as there's a great faq by Joris is available.

click on the FAQ link, and select the amplfiication faq. :)

and this should be in the amps forum

4. rickbass

rickbass Supporting Member

Very simply put;

- Your preamp takes the "info", the signal, from your bass and prepares it your power amp. Bassically, it "shapes" your sound. It has to do with how you sound.

- The power amp "magnifies" your bass's signal according to the "info" it receives from your preamp and bass. It has to do with how loud you are.

As I said, that is very simplistic. So, stay curious and read all you can to more fully understand what each does.

5. Ryan L.

Ryan L. Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Aug 7, 2000
    West Fargo, ND
    Wrong forum.

Moved to Amps.