Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Beginner Bass for my nephew

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by wa2, Sep 9, 2002.

1. wa2

wa2

Sep 9, 2002
    IL
    Considering an Epiphone Accubass Jr for my nephew as a starter bass. I don't want to
    spend alot in case he doesn't stick with it. I don't know much about Epiphone bass guitars,
    except it looks like it's full scale and similiar in style to a Fender P Bass. If he does get into
    playing a bass, maybe going to the real thing later wouldn't be that much of a change except for the obvious quality issue.
    Does anyone have any experience with an Epiphone Jr as far as a sound, durability, build quality, etc ?
    Thanks

2. First off how old and strong is he.
    If he is a small person with small hands and arms he will need something light but has good sound and is affordable.

3. wa2

wa2

Sep 9, 2002
    IL
    He’s an average size kid and I don’t think he’d have a problem with a full scale neck or
    the weight of the bass. A friend let him plunk on a P Bass for awhile and he seemed to be
    alright with it. If he gets serious about it later, he can move up to a better bass on his own
    dime, but I’m looking to get him started for now with something at the low end of the
    price range. If an Epiphone Accubass Jr is decent bass for that purpose, then I’ll go ahead
    and get him one, I just don’t know anything about these Epiphone bass guitars.
    Thanks

4. I got back into playing in 1994 and the Epiphone Accu bass was the first bass bought.The body was laminated(plywood) and the neck didn't stay straight for more than a week at a time.I would look at lower priced Yamahas,Ibenez or used mexican made fender .all these have better build quality than the cheap Epiphones.Epiphone does make some decent basses but they cost much more.

5. USED! Better bang for the buck, especially for your situation.

6. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

Before you spend the money, check out the Essex basses at www.rondomusic.com

7. Philbiker

Philbiker Pat's the best!

Dec 28, 2000
    Northern Virginia, USA
    Definitely an Essex from Rondo Music qualifies for this use. The BG80 I think is the basic P-Bass. That's the one.

8. wa2

wa2

Sep 9, 2002
    IL
    I appreciate the replies on this thread and especially for the link to Rondo Music and the Essex bass guitars. I hadn't known about them, seems like a good value for the money.
    One more thing, my nephew is kind of into bluegrass and folk/old country music, would a fretless give more of that acoustic stand up bass sound?
    Thanks again

9. Brendan

Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    Yes, fretless would give him a more Double bass sound.

10. RyKnoz

RyKnoz

Dec 22, 2001
    NYC
    Go 4 the essex.

11. Brendan

Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    Bluesgrasser? Yeah, the Fretless P or Fretless J Essex would be the best value going.

Tell you a secret, we have a Warwick endordser here use actually used an Essex, stock, over one of his Warwick bassses while recording.

(Keep in mind because it had the "sound" for the particular situation, not that it was better, nor equal to his Warwick stuff)