Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Beginner Bass Guitar

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by gschech, Jan 11, 2005.

1. gschech

gschech

Jan 11, 2005
    My 13 year old son is interested in learning the bass guitar. I don't want to spend a lot of money on his first guitar, but I wanted to get some thoughts and what I should look at. I found some bass package deals, but not sure what to get:

Roque
    Drive
    Jay Turser
    Dean
    Silvertone

All are about $150-$220 :help:

2. iriegnome

iriegnome Bassstar style Supporting Member

Nov 23, 2001
    Kenosha, WI 53140
    All are equally pretty good. I think I would recommend the Ibanez, Epiphone or Peavey. I do not like the inconsistant quality of Silvertone and Rogue and those like that.
    If you are interested, I have a 1968 Harmony bass that needs a little work for $75.00. :bag:

3. do you have any pics?? i would love to see that, would you ship to canada?

4. Even though I'm not really a fan of Ibanez, I don't think you can go wrong with GSR 200.

You could probably get a little 10-15w amp for about a hundred bucks that should hold him over for a bit.

joe

5. I know its been said before, but if you really want to give a newby a chance to see if bass is for him/her get a good enough bass that sounds good enough to not discourage him/her from playing. If the action is bad or if it sounds bad (or wrong for the genre of music they want to play) you're wasting your money and opportunity. Some Ibanez and Yamaha basses are good starter basses that retain their value. A good used fender jazz or precision bass is a sure-thing, and you might consider the Essex (SX) basses from Rondo Music which are gaining a great rep on this forum. :bassist:

6. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

If your budget allows $200 for the bass, I would get the Ibanez GSR200. Make sure it has the 'Phat boost'. That is what they call their active preamp. That bass is hard to beat for the price.

If you want to keep it under $200, look at the SX brand at Rondo Music. They start at $109 and are very decent for the price. http://www.rondomusic.net/bassguitars4.html

7. Andre_gt7

Andre_gt7

Jan 4, 2005
    Atlanta - GA
    Rogue is pretty good for a beginner...i got one as a backup to my GT7..its outfitted with DP127 pups by dimarzio...sounds good

8. Philbo

Philbo

Jan 11, 2005
    NY
    i started off with a really cheap used johnson p-bass. I would recomend a light p-bass to start because it is a well rounded good body feel. The best value for a beginner i found is a Squier P-bass. It'll never sound like a fender, but it'll be good for a beginner willing to put his time in.

9. An OLP or Squier Fender aren't bad for beginner basses. At least if they are into it later you could get their better counterparts when your ready to upgrade.

10. Head Creep

Head Creep

Nov 6, 2004
    Los Angeles
    I went shopping for my first bass a few months ago and ended up with an OLP due to its neck size and spacing.. I have pretty big hands, so the Ibanez GSR200's already small neck felt like a toy to me. But I could imagine it being great for the average sized 13 year old.

11. slaprock

slaprock

Dec 19, 2004
    tacoma, wa
    I started on the ibanez gsr200..I got it new in 2000 or 2001. the new ones have thinner necks I think. I couldn't get a good slap sound, but the new electronics may have alleviated the problem. It is really comfortable to play, with a range of tones, and looks good too.