1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Beginner Bass - Ibanez GSR200 and Washburn Taurus T14

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Tempus Fugit, Jun 29, 2012.

1. Tempus Fugit

Tempus Fugit

Feb 4, 2008
    My nephew wants to buy his first bass and he asked me about these. I have never tried either. Any hi-lights or low-lights that you know of on these 2? Thank you.

2. levis76

levis76 Seconds from getting ba...

Apr 14, 2007
    Metro Detroit
    I find the entry level Ibanez basses to be of better than average quality and very consistent quality from bass to bass unlike the big F brand entry level MIM. Those are very hit or miss. Some are fantastic and many are junk. I rocked a GSR200 for several years. With proper setup it'll rock just about any tuning you like. The stock electronics are pretty standard for entry level. They work but they aren't great, some shielding would go a long way to reducing noise. These basses are very cheap on the aftermarket. They can be found on CL for prices as low as $75.

Washburn makes good instruments as well, I owned a few Bantam series 4 and 5 strings. They were of decnet quality and the electronics were great, no need to swap. I have never played a Taurus though, so I have no idea how those would stack up against the Ibanez.

Word of advice, no matter which you/he decides on, take it to a reputable shop for a setup and tuning. Maybe even spring a few extra $ to have the frets and nut levelled too. It'll be absolutely worth every penny.

3. alaskaleftybass

alaskaleftybass Will Hanbury, Jr. Supporting Member

Mar 21, 2012
    Sitka, Alaska
    +1 Like he said. The price of having the bass professionally set up is worth its weight in gold. Plus the techie can give you an evalutation of the bass. Getting it right the first time could make a difference to a budding bass player or a bass that ends up gathering dust because of a lousy setup.

4. MyMusic

MyMusic

Jun 1, 2010
    Dover, De
    I agree with the above. My GSR200 and new strings and a good setup makes all the difference in the world. I don't think I'll part with it. Fun and easy to play.