Beginner bass..

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by MattTracker, Mar 6, 2004.

1. MattTracker

Mar 6, 2004
    hey, I'm trying to find a good bass for starting out (to be used in the studio over lounge type tracks)

My local shop carries a few Ibanez soundgear models, but how do they compare to the other basses in this price range?

-looking to spend around $200-$250.

2. Mike Money

Mike Money Banned

Mar 18, 2003
    Bakersfield California
    Avatar Speakers Endorsing Hooligan
    Ibanez sound gears.... Eh. There are diamonds, and there are dirt clods, a know? Very inconsistent quality.

tons of people will tell you to go there and have a look. I have no experience with them, but people say they are better than anything else in the price range...

And for $250, you could probably find a used MIM fender...
  3. Get a Squier MB-4 for 180 bucks. Or the MB-5 5 string for 200. The 4 would leave you with money to buy a practice amp to. The MB-4 has P/J's, great tone for a beginner, and I've had mine over 6 months and have no problems at all with it. Volume, P-up pan, and Tone control. Plus, the Pewter Grey Metallic finish is really nice. Or you could always go used.
  4. Most people on here will scream "ESSEX or SX" at you, apparently they can't be beaten for the price (about $150 or so). Then that leaves you will plenty of cash to buy a nice amp, an amp is just as important as the bass, I guess if you don't mind going used you could pick up a nice amp for $150 or so, but I don't live in the US so I don't know exactly what you can get for your money.
  5. BillyB_from_LZ

BillyB_from_LZ Supporting Member

Sep 7, 2000
    I've only seen on SX bass in person, it need a serious neck adjustment and my have been fine beyond that.

I paid $200 for my used MIM (Made in Mexico) Fender Precision Bass (known as the P Bass Standard, I think) and I honestly believe that it's good enough to play professionally with. My very first bass was a brand new Fender Precision Bass circa 1974 and my Mexi P is a better instrument in every way...plays better, sounds better, weighs less, etc. I would not hesitate to record with it, play out with it, tour with it, etc.
  6. MattTracker

Mar 6, 2004
    A Fender MIM sounds allright to me.

Are there any used dealers online that are worth checking out, or should I go the EBay route?
  7. Stinsok

Stinsok Supporting Member

Dec 16, 2002
    Central Alabama
    Check out the Brice's. Will fit within your budget, is better than MIM Fender, and several different styles to choose from. You will not be sorry.
  8. BillyB_from_LZ

BillyB_from_LZ Supporting Member

Sep 7, 2000
    As some of us have written, there's a lot of variation in the MIM Fender basses. You really have to try out the one that you're buying or if you buy it on-line buy it from someone that knows what a good bass plays like...

If you buy the first MIM P or J that comes along, you might get a great one, a good one or a poor one...
  9. luknfur

Jan 14, 2004
    I like the low end Ibanez GSRs, 190s, 200s, 300s. Have a wall of them. They're cheap, light, comfortable, well ballanced, fast necks, have fairly large control bays, and have a 2+2 headstock. I jerk the guts and replace them with EMGs, Barts, Aggies, etc. The control bay was large enough to run a Bart TCT 3 band with 5 pots. Some toasty sounds and playability, each one for under $300 invested - which includes $35 sets of Thomastik flats.

I'm sure there are other decent low end pieces but after trying a few (since all the low end Ibe 4's are PJs), I decided to route the Ibes for other pup configurations and throw down a pickgaurd.

For what it's worth, neck of the 200 is worth the difference in price over the 190, aside from the lack of venier on the 190, they are not the same - even though you'll often hear that.