Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Beginner Bass

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by steve2, Apr 25, 2005.

1. steve2

steve2

Sep 23, 2001
    Piney Flats, TN
    I have been playing for several years and a guy I work with asked me to teach his 15 year old son the bass. He has a musical background, he plays some type of horn in school and can read music. He is planning on playing in a youth contemporary christian band at his church. His father asked me what would be a good starter bass. I play a Fender Jazz so I suggested a Squier Jazz or a P Bass Special. I also told him perhaps a Fender Rumble 60 watt amp. I was looking at my Musicians Friend Cataloge and also noticed the MM2 for around $249. $20 more than the Squier. Thanks for any advice.

Steve

2. the ibanez GSR200 is a pretty good one to start out on (and keep for a while, too).

3. teej

teej

Aug 19, 2004
    Sheffield, AL 35660
    The OLPs are pretty good. My only gripe is that the body is made of basswood -- a VERY soft wood -- so even the slightest bump will put a nice dent in the body.

If I may make a suggestion, try Essex basses from Rondo Music. Many people around here will swear by them. They've got P- and J-style basses starting at $119. Sure, they're cheap, but it's NO reflection of their quality, which is absolutely incredible for the price. If you ask me, better quality than any Squier I've played.

However, if you want a more familiar name... Ibanez or Yamaha. Personally, I like the Yamaha RBX170 ($179 at Musicians Friend).

Also, check the local music shop for used amps. Peavey stuff is really good quality and wont empty your bank account. And any decent shop will let you try before you buy so you hear exactly what you're paying for.

But in the end, the best option will always be to try stuff for yourself.

4. Broach_insound

Broach_insound

Jan 25, 2005
    New York
    ibanez gsr200 is the best bass in the universe ;)