beginner bass

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by r05c03, Oct 12, 2005.

1. r05c03

Jul 21, 2005
    Lafayette, IN

My 9 yo son is taking bass lessons from me. He has a significant feel for music. Currently he practices on my MIM Deluxe Fender Jazz. This makes me nervous because it a nice bass, new, and I'd hate to see it dropped or something by anyone else but myself (my other bass is a hollow bosy which is too large for him to play comforably). Plus that is a heavy mofo bass for a 9 y0 and the jumbo frets give him a little trouble as far as streching those little fingers. At anyrate, for Christmas I'd like to pick him up something a little cheaper, something that I can really let him let loose on. I am considering long and short scale bass I am more interested in something light weight and easy to play. I am not adverse to buying new or used. I would like to spend <$250. I know about the SX basses and those are on my list of potentials. I would like to stay away from Squire, unless someone can convince me otherwise. What about those Peavey Fury basses?

Could I get some succinct suggestions as to a good basses to consider so that I can look around for deals over the next 2 mos?

2. radi8

Feb 10, 2004
    Ibanez GSR200

A really good (and rugged) starter bass.
    I passed mine along to a co-worker whose son wanted to learn bass.
  3. ibanez also makes a short scale bass, I think it is called the gaxb100? I am not shure. I have played a few of them just for kicks and I actually am concidering buyin one. Heck at $165 bucks you cant go wrong.
  4. Essex would be a good choice. Another would be Samick's Greg Bennet (sp?) designed Fairlane. I've both, and am happy.

According to one of Samick's technicians, the Fairlane FN-1 is loaded with a set of Seymour Duncan Hot for Jazz pickups. Apparently, Samick owns SD; again, according to the tech. All I know for sure is that the bass is pretty hot for a passive, and it has a somewhat scooped midrange tone when all my Pro 500's EQ settings are neutral.
  5. mattsk42

mattsk42 $100 off new Directv subsp.PM me BEFORE signing up Supporting Member

Any of the Yamaha basses I've played are great. Very lightweight and small size. If you do a search, there's a mega thread on Yamahas. I have 2 that I use for long practicing and messing around that are nice. They also seem versatile w/ the p/j pickup config. Not nearly as much setup involved as is the case w/ some SX's if you care about that type of thing.

Another to look at would be a good Samick like that guy said. Be sure to pick the right one, though. The quality varies quite a bit.
  6. You can find used US made Peavey Foundation basses at every pawn shop and Music-Go-Round in the country for ~$150. They are good quality and sound excellent. They are 34" scale basses with Jazz Bass style necks and light weight bodies.
  7. r05c03

Jul 21, 2005
    Lafayette, IN
    thanks for the advice!
  8. iriegnome

iriegnome Bassstar style Supporting Member

Nov 23, 2001
    Kenosha, WI 53140
    The Essex Short scale is under $100 and they are pretty good looking basses. Not bad quality, upgradable and cheap enough where you do not need to worry about it so much!
  9. Unchain

Unchain I've seen footage.

Jun 20, 2005
    Tucson, AZ
    Exactly what I was going to say. Short Scale is nice to start on, and the quality on SX basses is quite good.
  10. apollo11

Aug 19, 2004
    New York
    Jay Turser Beatle Bass. It has the slimmest neck I've ever seen, is light as a feather, and is short short scale. Deep low end, too. Great bass for the money, usually between $200-$250.
  11. r05c03

Jul 21, 2005
    Lafayette, IN
    Thanks for the suggestions. At the moment I may be able to pick up a used but in good condition Peavey Fury Bass for around 100 dollars. Would y'all go for the peavey or spend the same on a SX?
  12. Eilif

Eilif Supporting Member

Oct 1, 2001
    A peavy fury is a nice bass (if you get the old USA made ones) and the neck is slim, but if you are buying it for a 9 year old, go with the short scale SX (easy on his fingers) and let him pick out whether he wants a precision or Jazz style. They are both the same price, (109$) and are of significant quality that they are worth keeping around as a second instrument or upgrading platform as he advances.
  13. i don't know what your traditions are for christmas, but usually letting the son pick out the bass himself works the best. any type of jazz or precision is a good starter bass, personally i would go for a 3tone sunburst precision.

to make this short im pro Essex bass
  14. r05c03

Jul 21, 2005
    Lafayette, IN
    Just as an update to those who gave me advice. I ended up picking up a used Peavey Fundation (Made in USA) for 150 plus shipping. I got it in yesterday and checked it out. It looks cool, is light weight, a Il have to say it plays really well and has a really nice punchy sound. Pure Punk, I wish I had had this bass back in the day. In fact my first impression is that it plays better sounds nicer in some ways than my Fender Jazz Deluxe (MIM) (I do not know if this has to do with the strings, the Peavey has Elixirs, I think, and have not changed out my Fender stock strings yet). All I need is to clean it up, it is dusty and has a scratchy pup. Please someone tell me that if I get some decent strings on my fender that I will no longer be jealous of my sons bass.
  15. Shearstown

Oct 15, 2005
    The Samick Greg Bennet is a great starter bass. I still own mine and am now only getting a Fender MIM Jazz soon.
  16. dangnewt

dangnewt Veteran Dispenser

Jun 6, 2003
    MetroWest Boston
    First - my compliments for your support of your son's talent.

Second - although some folks like old dead grungy strings, I love the sound of my bass after I put on a new set of strings. You may still be jealous of your son's bass, but you will probably be happier with yours.

The other solution is to go out and buy yourself a Peavey. The recent Peavey Appreciation Thread demonstrates that Peavey has a strong following around here. I own 4 basses and my USA-made Millennium gets 90% of the playing time. Peavey gear has a well-deserved reputation for reliability and value. By all means, keep and play the Jazz; but if the GAS gets too strong - give the Peaveys some consideration.