1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

beginner bass

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by zaveta, Jan 10, 2002.

1. zaveta

zaveta Guest

Jan 10, 2002
    montana
    I am just getting started and want to spend between 500-800 dollars on my bass. I have looked at the ibanez and they seem to have fairly good quality in this price range. Any suggestions would be a big help. thanksyou can email responese to zaveta@hotmail.com if you have the time.

2. Wow - you can do a lot better than Ibanez. Not that Ibanez is bad ... but for $800 ...

But you should check out Ebay and the like. In my opinion the smart musical instrument buyer buys used! There are so many used instruments out there in perfect condition and at very good prices. Go to your biggest most favorite music store, pick out the one you want and then look for something similar used. There are tons of people spending tons of money on instruments that never get played and then are re-sold.

Im sure there will be plenty others willing to tell you there favorites.

Good Luck, and as always, let us know what you get when you get it.

Peace - K.

3. ZuluFunk

ZuluFunk Supporting Member

Apr 14, 2001
    Pennsylvania
    Consider looking at a used bass. You'll have a better shot at getting a quality bass. I personally avoid e-bay. I like to hold the bass in my own hands before spendin anything. I also like to knwo where to find the guy who sold it to me.

Good luck.

4. Hello Zaveta and a warm welcome to Talk Bass.

Wow, 500 - 800 for a first bass.....

My first bass (since I got back into music) cost me £75: a Squier P. It was great for what it was, with an absolutely superb action. My one and only bass, now, is a Bass Collection 4 string that cost me £250, used.

Colleagues over the pond will no doubt correct me, but surely you could get an American P or J for those $$, and a MIM for certain. That's assuming you're a Fender guy, of course. If not there's a very wide selection at that price.

How about spending a couple-a hundred on the bass and similar on the amp; used gear in both cases. Zulu's dead right. Think seriously about used because there are some great bargains to be had. Frinstance, genuine 70s Rickenbackers are going for £450ish on private ads over here. In any case, I'd say get around as many stores you can, look hard, ask loads of questions and play a few if possible.

Yes. I think there are better deals then Ibanez for the $$ even though they're OK basses.

John

5. SRSiegel

SRSiegel Guest

Sep 17, 2001
    Ann Arbor, Michigan
    not that ibanezes are bad... ( i have 2 and love em) but if youre looking at new basses you can do better. if i were you i would look on ebay and see what some basses in your price range are... and then call around to local music shops (or search online) and see if you can find anything available. i too dont like the idea of ebay for anything like a bass (hidden scratches, dents, misinformed sellers, misleading sellers) ebay is a place where people try to rip others off. both sellers and buyers (IMO) you could always just walk into a music store, and tell them you want to look at used basses in that price range. good luck, welcome to talkbass, and realm of the mighty low frequencies!

~Scott

6. SoggyTrousers

SoggyTrousers Guest

Jan 9, 2002
    Wayne, New Jersey
    Got my first bass just a few days ago. A Squier P Bass...looks good..sounds good. i got it used for 140. very good beginers bass . also..there is a package deal for 300 on musicians friend...the p bass, an amp, and some other goodies. good luck.

Almost forgot..if you want a really nice ibanez for about that much money..check out the ATK 400. WOW! tough to find but my my..a sexy thing.

7. Ryan L.

Ryan L. Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Aug 7, 2000
    West Fargo, ND
    You have a LOT of options for $500-$800. My advice would be to go to a couple of music stores, and start playing. Find out which bass fits you the best, and buy it. And like others have said, don't rule out the used market. There are great deals to be had on used basses, and you can get a much higher end bass used in like new condition.

Have fun and good luck.:D

8. CrawlingEye

CrawlingEye Member

Mar 20, 2001
    Easton, Pennsylvania
    Same suggestion as usual.

MIM Fender, and save the $$$, if you're still playing after a few years, mod it (new pickups, new bridge, new tuners, maybe add a preamp, etc)

That way, if you decide you don't want to play (even though I have no clue why you would do something like that?! :eek: :D ) you won't be throwing money in the good 'ol toilet.

9. cap

cap

Aug 8, 2001
    Hickam Hawaii
    Well for 5-800 dollars you could get a used music man stingray 4. BUT...since its your first bass then thats probably jus a tidbit overkill:D ....is the 5-800 for EVERYTHING or just the bass?

I wish i had a music man as my first bass:rolleyes:

10. zaveta

zaveta Guest

Jan 10, 2002
    montana
    Thanks for all the info guts. Ill post again after I decide which im going to get and see what you think.

EZ