1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Beginner bass?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by nephew87, Feb 25, 2008.

1. nephew87

nephew87

Feb 16, 2008
    I just started playing bass about a month ago with a Squier by Fender Precission Bass that I rented at a music shop.

Well now its time to get my own. Out of this two which one do you think is the better bass to start with.

Ibanez GSR 200 4-String Bass $199.99

IbanexGSR200.

or

Epiphone EB-0 $199.99

EpiphoneEB-0.

or any other around that price range.

2. plexibass

plexibass

Jun 30, 2005
    i'd go with the epi, but then again i am a fan of shortscale.

3. p0k

p0k I play the bass and design things. Supporting Member

Feb 6, 2007
    Brockton, MA
    i started out on that exact same ibanez. it was great for a beginner bass.

4. play them both and buy the one that feels best

5. s34s0ns

s34s0ns

Feb 14, 2008
    san jose, ca.
    i too started out with that ibanez, it is decent and in my opinion, one of the more comfortable all around basses.

6. +1
    hey you do have more choices in that price range too

7. I think the main difference would be the 30" (Epiphone) vs the 34" (Ibanez) neck. The Squier was a 34". If you're comfortable with that size, you might want to go with the Ibanez.
    BTW- I own an Epiphone EBO. It's a cool little bass.

8. 0175westwood29

0175westwood29

Sep 16, 2007
    +1 this is the best advice play both if one sticks out more then get that? if you get something you love! it makes you play more!

9. p0k

p0k I play the bass and design things. Supporting Member

Feb 6, 2007
    Brockton, MA
    you could probably get a nice used bass in that range too...a peavey perhaps?

10. xaosbass

xaosbass

Feb 15, 2008
    yep, peavey's a good choice. also, a yamaha rbx 170 has great potential in the future modifications area while still giving good performance staight of the rack. just get a good setup w/ any bass you decide on.

11. Earwigger

Earwigger I'm a Roland man now.

Aug 23, 2005
    Cleveland, Ohio
    The GSR200 is THE starter bass. More people start with that then anything else I'd bet. The Epiphone is short scale which is a lot different then the Squier you're playing. The Yamaha RBX170 is a fantastic starter bass as well.

12. nephew87

nephew87

Feb 16, 2008
    Yeah, i played them both this past weekend at guitar center and I liked the epiphone better on looks and how comfortable it felt to play.The strings were really cheap, but that can be changed.

but while doing research online somebody mention that the epiphones neck started cracking from stress after a couple of months.

I wanted to see if anyone had experience with any of the 2 basses.

Also, does the sound change with the difference of scale length. The guy at guitar center told me that it did not matter, but he was just trying to get rid of me fast.

13. Earwigger

Earwigger I'm a Roland man now.

Aug 23, 2005
    Cleveland, Ohio
    I've played both. The Epi is sorta a pile of junk, sounds terrible, and the string tension is floppy. It's considered one of the worst production basses out there. The GSR200 has a pretty nice neck. The body is made of sawdust laminate (on the older one I played) but aside from that it was perfectly usable.

The RBX170 actually sounds good, and it's 20$ cheaper then the Ibanez at Guitar Center. Yamaha is a solid bass.

14. plexibass

plexibass

Jun 30, 2005
    ooooh yeah, i'd get a peavey foundation. killer basses. i used to have 3. loved em!!!!!

15. kvane

kvane

Sep 26, 2007
    Seattle, Washington
    Epiphone does a good job replicating Gibson's looks and initial "surface" tones. I've owned a few Epis' and the biggest number 1 problem with all 3 I've owned (and every single one I've picked up) is a severe lack of balance and fret rattle that's dang near impossible to get rid of without having major neck and fret work done. Also, you'll have to change the bridge at some point. Their 3-prong bridges like to pull out. Ibanez are tremendous workhorses. You'll get some fret rattle out of the Ibanez but usually it won't come through the pick-ups if a proper set-up has been performed. The Ibanez has a faster, more "friendly" neck as well with its smaller diameter. If you've narrowed your search down to these two basses, I would personally recommend the Ibanez. I've owned several of both makes. Of course, these are just my experiences and opinions. Take it for what it's worth to ya!:smug:

16. I'd stay away from short scale. Stick with 34" necks for a 4 string.

17. plexibass

plexibass

Jun 30, 2005
    why dont you like short scale?

18. Flintc

Flintc

Aug 15, 2006
    Alabama
    I admit I hate the term "beginner" when applied to any musical instrument. If you mean "dirt cheap", then SAY so.

If you're a parent buying an instrument for a child, then it makes sense to compromise between inexpensive on the one hand (because children tend to lose interest most of the time, and you're not out much) and reasonable quality on the other hand (because even children can tell if an instrument is out of tune with itself or shoddy).

But if you're an adult, if you have a life history of sticking with instruments for years of practice and developing real performance skills on them, and if you're taking up the bass seriously, then these $200 instruments should only be considered if you're too poor to buy a pot to piss in. I think any serious adult considering dedicating an hour or more a day for years to any guitar or bass should BEGIN at no less than about $500.

Below that price, you're talking about cheap basses, NOT beginner basses. I've been poor, and I've bought used cheap instruments because that's all I could afford. But not because I was a beginner, but because I was poor.

19. Human Bass

Human Bass

Aug 26, 2005
    The ibanez balances better, has much more useful tones, its naturally more defined (34vs30 scale).

20. Most beginners buy a small amp and the Ibanez with active pick-ups will give you a brighter and louder tone. The Ibanez has a very narrow neck that also good for beginners and people with small hands. I bought the GSR200 for my daughter and later sold it when she switched to piano. If I was a beginner and really serious and planning on buying a bigger amp and playing often I would spend more money on a bass also.