Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Beginner bass??

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by mango, Aug 29, 2000.

1. mango

mango

Aug 29, 2000
    I know you've heard this question a lot, but what bass do you recommend for a beginner bassist? I've heard that the Squier P-Bass is a solid beginning bass.

2. I would say that any bass that you like to play and that doesn´t cost to much for your budget...

and this thread should have gone in "basses" i think.. :)

3. Luis Fabara

Luis Fabara

Aug 13, 2000
    Ecuador (South America)
    Audio Pro - Ecuador
    My first Bass was a Crestwood P-Bass . I got it for $140 and I added a BadAss Bridge and a Select by EMG pickup.
    IT was great for the money

4. Bryan_G

Bryan_G

Apr 28, 2000
    Austin, Texas
    I started out with my Ibanez GTR70, I bought it in some startup package with an amp, gig bag, video, and a strap,
    it worked out really good for a beginning.

5. soundofphysics

soundofphysics

Jul 17, 2000
    you can buy a factory direct carvin for a pretty sweet deal, or you could check out the fenders and hte squire, there's so many options out there, and jsut because you're new to the world of low end make sure you spend plenty of time plucking as many of 'em as you can in any way you can. Don't be intimadted by that guy in the corner of evry guitar shop on earth who plows out 3 or 4 slap licks- jsut remember this- if he was really that good wouldn't he be doing something besides sitting in a music shop for 7 hours every day playing the same thing. i personally find the ibanez tones kind of dull, but you may think different if u try one yourself, so good luck and happy plucking

6. Alyosha09

Alyosha09

Jun 16, 2000
    May I suggest Ibanez?
    Usual beginners have smaller hands (what I mean is that the average beginner bass player is about 12 and they dont have big hands) Now I dont know about you "Mango" but im guessing you dont have big hands for the reason above. Ibanez is a company that makes necks that are small (for small hands and/or playing fast)Ibanez also has a very low end (price wise, mind you) in basses. You can get a cheap Ibanez for $150 that will last you a while. What I mean by a while is that for some people these basses' necks have "fallen apart like cabbage" These people have had these Ibanez for many years though. If you are serious about bass or starting to, Ibanez is good for you. Thin necks for smaller hands, cheap, and easy to replace by another bass. haha that rymed!! Im a poet and I didnt even know it!!

haha hope this helps!!

Alyosha

7. Warrior

Warrior

Sep 3, 2000
    For the money . its hard to beat a Peavey

8. cassanova

cassanova

Sep 4, 2000
    Florida
    Id have to agree with Alyosha09 if you have small hands the Ibanez Soundgears are a very good choice! The GSR 100 is about $180. GSR200 is around $200. They are pretty durable bass's too. They wont fall apart on you as fast as a Hondo, Crate, Palmer or a lesser name brand would. But in my opinion the tonal qualities in the Ibanez Soundgear line is lacking. (I say this cause I also own an Sr805)
    For around $300 you can get the Fender Standard Jazz bass. The neck is still relativly small and I find the tonal qualities in them to be of the highest quality for bass guitars in that price range. Fish around and play as many different basses as you can. You may find yourself liking a Peavey or even a Jackson. The prepackaged bass/amp deals by Fender and Ibanez are also worth looking into. I hope this was of some help to you. Good luck in your quest!!!

9. rojo412

rojo412 MARK IT ZERO! Supporting Member

Feb 26, 2000
    Cleveland, OH.
    It depends on your dedication and how much you have to invest. Like many people here, we started playing bass and never stopped. But some people buy one and give it up quickly (not just basses... or music for that matter). Sometimes it's because what they have to play with didn't satisfy them. My dad always told me the best thing to do is buy quality. In the long run, the money you spend will be what the product gives you.

If I had it to do all over again, I would have bought the best bass possible with the money I had and I'd research more. I bought a bass with no real resale value and questionable quality. But for the money I put in (and maybe a few bucks more) and a little more research (like TalkBass) I may have found a much better bass used for the same cost which I'd still play a lot today.

I know a kid who has a Squier P and it sounds pretty good, but keep your eyes peeled for a used bass. Just my humble opinion though.

10. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    Mexican Jazz Bass.

11. cassanova

cassanova

Sep 4, 2000
    Florida
    Dont forget to scour the pawn shops, youd be pleasently suprised at what you may find in them sometimes.

12. Deynn

Deynn Moderator Emeritus

Aug 9, 2000
    Iowa
    If it looks right...feels right...sounds right...and you can afford it....
    Then THAT is your "beginner" bass.....:)

13. LeftyBass

LeftyBass

Jul 20, 2000
    I've noticed that nobody has mantioned Dean basses. I guess there are several reasons for that... they are relatively inexpensive and new to the market as a mass produced instrument company.

But!!

I bought a Dean Edge 4 LH this summer and it's the best bass I've played on. I love Warwicks (haven't got the money for them) but I'd take my Dean over a warwick any day. And it's got any Fender beat hands down (I'm sorry ya'll but I despise msot fenders... the only one I've ever played on and likedd was an odd MIM jazz. It sounded WAY better than the american made ones I've played on). It's more versatile than most basses I've played on. And (here's the kicker) it only cost me about $400. I've since gigged with it as my main axe and went to the studio with it. The guys at the studio were totally amazed by the sound it got. Even I was dumbstruck by the recording. Me and my bass are now the house bassist for them. Can't beat the Dean, baby!

14. I started out on a Ibanez GSR200, I to this day belive that the lower end Ibanezes are better quality than the Mexican Fenders. At least with the lower end Ibanezes, you have a good quality wood so if you decide to just upgrade electronics you can. I am not a fender basher, for I own an American Std. Fender Jazz Bass right now... I love Fenders, just in my experience and those I have seen play bass, the Mexican Fenders are not that good