Beginner Bass

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by guitargirl09, Aug 12, 2003.

1. guitargirl09

Aug 12, 2003

Right now I play regular guitar not bass. Im looking to learn bass and am wondering what a good beginner bass guitar is and a good beginner bass amp is.

Thanks for your help,

2. rllefebv

Oct 17, 2000
    Newberg, Oregon
    Fender MIM P-Bass and Peavey Micro-Bass get my vote for best starter package. Of course, you'll get about a hundred different responses to this... you may want to try doing a search...

All of this is very dependant on what type of music you're going to be playing, but above should meet a variety of 'Practicing by myself with a CD' needs...

Oh, and Welcome to Talkbass

3. guitargirl09

Aug 12, 2003
    could i find those packages at guitar center?:confused:
  4. Welcome to Talkbass!

There is a search feature at the bottom of the page that works very well here. You can use it to search for topics like this that may come up often.

As for my vote for a good beginner bass? I liked owning the OLP Music Man Stingray copy. Good bass, great price. Someone here will probably bring up Essex as a good beginer brand, I would agree with that.

Good luck :D
  5. Most of the combos that will be in replies here arn't ones that come in a box like the "Sqiuer Starter Pak" (Which is complete donkey poo). They have to be bought seperatly. My suggestion for a first bass and amp is an SX jazz or precision, with a VOX t-25 amp
  6. if the vox can't be had, the Behringer combos seem well priced, and considering you're only gonna be starting, nothing wrong with not getting the best of the best gear.

Definitely check out the Essex stuff, I keep hearing that they're really really good for their prices.
  7. SilentJ

Jul 23, 2003
    i just started myself amd i've been lovin my Peavy Milestone its pretty cheap doesnt sound to bad either i guess:confused: :) have fun playing
  8. japhy4529

japhy4529 this is only a test... Supporting Member

Hi - I agree with eljuapo... for the money you can't beat an OLP Stingray copy. They have 4 and 5 string models available. 4 String around $190, 5 String $199 (at, $229 elsewhere.

I will offer up some unsolicited advice though... Pick up a 4 string as your first Bass. You can always move on to 5 (or more) strings later. Get the basics down first.

As for a good beginner amp, I really like Vox. The T-15 sells for around $120. Keep in mind that while this amp is fairly loud, it may not carry over well when playing with a loud drummer. The T-25 is around $200, but should cover you at a band rehearsal.

I know what your thinking. "I can just buy a Bass an plug it into my guitar amp at first. YES, you can do this to get started. Just be careful that you don't blow your speakers (roll off the bass a little), and remember that guitar amps do not have the wattage to properly power Bass signals. You will need a Bass amp sooner or later.

If you go with an OLP Bass and a Vox T-25 amp, your only out around $400 or so.

You may wish to start out on your own playing along to CD's, pick up an instructional book, take lessons or all of the above! There are no rules here.

At the very least, if you are not already comfortable with identifying notes on your guitar's fretboard, pick up a book with a fretboard diagram. You may be able to download a pic online. This will really help when you are trying to communicate song changes with another band member.

Good luck!

- Tom
  9. Mike Money

Mike Money Banned

Mar 18, 2003
    Bakersfield California
    Avatar Speakers Endorsing Hooligan
    Squier Bass Pak. like $300 at GC.
  10. 12notes

Jul 15, 2003
    I second your recommendations.
  11. 12notes

Jul 15, 2003
    An Essex bass, and either a Vox, or Behringer bass amp.

BTW. Both Vox and Behringer's bass amps are fantastic with regular guitar too. I know. I also play a few regular guitars, and own several Vox amps for decades, and Behringer amps too.

I got rid of my Fender deluxe reverbs guitar amps, after I got my Vox bass amp in the 60's.

It's just a superb guitar amp as well.
  12. at the risk of sounding repetitive, i'll have to agree with the behringer stuff. i bought a bx108 (single eight inch speaker combo) for around 150 and it has unbelievable tone. i just bought the amp for practising but am really impressed with the sound quality. definitly wicked amp line. plus mine has a wicked vintage look, tweed-like covering on the speaker adds a little class. ported on the rear. wouldn't last in a real band situation, but would keep up with acoustic guitars quite easily. keep on rockin in the free world buddy.

13. Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    Essex bass or a MIM p bass or j bass. FOr amp, behringer ive heard are good.
  14. I like the Essex basses. As for the amp I like the Behringer that I have. It's a BX1200 and it works really well.

15. guitargirl09

Aug 12, 2003
    Sounds like I should get a SX bass guitar and a behringer amp. Thanks for the help,

16. But keep in mind that everything is very subjective and depends a lot on the individual person. I like the Behringer combo amp that I have because I really just use it for practicing. If I were gigging with it then my attitude and needs would be very different and I might choose something else. For practicing though a Behringer does pretty well.

Another item you might consider is a Korg "Pandora" PX4B. This is a small headphone amp that is about the size of a TV remote. It has a huge number of options and I've found it's extremely useful. I can use it for practicing, which makes my neighbors happy, or I can use it as a pre-amp and route the output from the PX4B into my combo amp. Instead of me listing everything, please check the above link and see for yourself.

As for the Essex the biggest thing I would recommend is getting the bass properly setup with the correct amount of neck relief (bow), string height and intonation (string length). If you have any problems or issues with the Essex make sure to contact Rondo ASAP and get it fixed or replaced. Many people have had no bad experiences with the Essex but some have. So far the customer service from Rondo has been very good so you shouldn't have any unsolvable issues.

17. UntamedBass

Jul 1, 2003
    Dallas, TX
    Apologies to guitargirl09 for piggy-backing on her thread but what's the word on the ESP B55? I'd love to drop double what I can currently on a bass but there's a baby on the way. :D

I was originally going to go with an SX BG-205 but those were discontinued. :bawl:

Thanks for any help in advance.

Edit: Right now I'm playing through an old Squire J-bass (that I'm borrowing from our drummer) and an ancient Ultravox head (that I figure is running all of 5 watts) and a cab with one 15". Since we're playing country music, there's not a lot of call for much in the way of effects, but our front man thinks that since there's more and more stuff being recorded using 5-6 string basses, a 5 string would be a good investment.
  18. LMDAVE

Aug 15, 2003
    I just got my Squier bass and frontman 15b amp. I've been playing guitar for about 15 years, and this is my first time owning a bass. It's perfect for me, to hear the notes, play the wider frets and thicker strings. And, even being a advanced guitarist, I refuse to play my bass with a pick. But, the earlier thread about the squier pak being complete donkey poo (or whatever) is not true at all.
  19. I think Behringer combos are great practice amps. Pretty powerful too. My first bass was a Squier and it did the trick, but I hear SX is even better.