Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Beginner Bassist Needs Help!

Discussion in 'General Instruction [BG]' started by LimpChunk9, Jun 5, 2001.

1. LimpChunk9

LimpChunk9

May 8, 2001
    Bronx, NY
    I've only been playing bass for four months and I've only had an amp for 1 month. Usually I just print out tabs to songs I like and go play them along with the song over and over. Now though, I want to be able to expand my skills. I've searched constantly for some sites to help me out and I'm not really able to afford lessons ($22 per half hour) so I was hoping you guys can help me out. I'm looking for a website that has a lot of scales that are tabbed, no flashcards or anything like that. Just scales written on a typing program. I would be very greatful if someone can introduce me to the kind of site I'm looking for. Thanks a lot.

2. Why not try

http://www.activebass.com

they have lessons & scales there and also it's a multimedia site so you can hear the stuff first. Btw, I'm self taught also, try not to get hung up on scales, even though I think they're important, but remember to play and enjoy also.

Stu

3. LimpChunk9

LimpChunk9

May 8, 2001
    Bronx, NY
    I've been there before but they have all interactive scales, I'm looking for tabs.

4. 6-stringjazz

6-stringjazz

Jun 1, 2001
    Abq NM
    Download a FREE reading program, Learn how to read music then learn them in staff notation. Note how the PATTERN works on the fingerbaord, then apply it all over. If you want to expand your skills, as well as your musicianship, do this!!! It will help so much!

5. LimpChunk9

LimpChunk9

May 8, 2001
    Bronx, NY
    Hmmm, I don't know any FREE reading programs.

6. 6-stringjazz

6-stringjazz

Jun 1, 2001
    Abq NM
    I know they exist. If you can't find one write me back on this thread and I will go over reading basics with you. It's something everybody should learn.

7. Boplicity

Boplicity Supporting Member

Limp Chunk, here is a free Internet standard notation reading program. It is well worth your while to check out this site.

http://www.libster.com

If you really want to develop as a bassist, learning to read standard notation instead of tabs will open up so many more possibilities for you.

8. pkr2

pkr2

Apr 28, 2000
    coastal N.C.
    ==============
    Good call, Jason. I think I've checked every theory site in cyber space but Libster is head and shoulders above anything else I've found.

I would strongly advise printing the lessons and organizing them in a binder. I did and it provided me with a GOOD text book that I can use even if I don't have access to the 'puter.

LC9, Take an old fools advice. Forget about tabs! They can only convey a very limited amount of info about a song. Forget transcribing using tabs. It just doesn't work. Conveying a message in music using just tabs is very much like trying to write a message to someone using only vowels.

Keep in mind that your progress doesn't depend on what you can play. It depends totally on what you can hear and understand.. Standard notation is the only language in which you can truly convey a musical message.

At this point in your career, a keyboardist, horn player or guitarist that can read can be a tremendous help when you first start. Standard notation is a universal language regardless of your instrument of choice.

Best of luck with whichever language you decide upon.

If you only learn to read the bass staff, you will be better off than if you study tabs from now on.

Pkr2

9. 6-stringjazz

6-stringjazz

Jun 1, 2001
    Abq NM
    Thanks for the back uo fellas'!

10. I'm just a new bass player myself, Tabs are helpful but my dad has been playing guitar for his whole life and he talls me he's addicted to tabs and has trouble reading music. This is no problem for me because my whole family is in the music business and I've been playing paino for about 11 years now. It's good to really get theory down becuase it is essential for becoming a better musican.

11. crass751

crass751

Jun 21, 2001
    I've played horns for about 10 years and piano for about 14. I'm picking up bass as something different and I want to learn notes *horn player's mentality, know the fingerings and you can play anything*. What's a good resource for that?

12. maillotjaune

maillotjaune Guest

Jun 16, 2001
    Milwaukee
  13. 4 brave mice

4 brave mice Guest

Jun 28, 2001
    utica, ny
    well...every scale has the same pattern on the bass, it doesnt matter if its a C scale or a D scale-(these are all major scales of course) the pattern is-

2 4 <----start here
    1 2 4 <--next string up
    1 3 4 <---next string
    (these numbers are the FINGERS that you use, eg- pointer=1, middle=2, ring=3, pinky=4)
    if you are playing a C scale, put your second finger on the C note, and play this pattern for that scale(major scale), it is the same for a D scale and so forth. it is called a moveable bass pattern-it work to play any major scale anywhere on the bass. i know it might be a little confusing...so ask me if you have any questions.

14. Suburban

Suburban

Jan 15, 2001
    lower mid Sweden
    Find tabs=get stuck
    Find noted music=find new ways
    Find new ways=get better
    Get better=have more fun
    Have more fun=get better,,,,,,and the latter two will form a positive spiral, that you probably will fertilise with some more written music from time to time.
    I will now go to Libster. Bye!