1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Beginner bassist needs help.

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by halifax27, Apr 16, 2010.

1. halifax27

halifax27

Apr 16, 2010
    Im trying to find a good but something not too pricey bass to play. I actually found two options:
    yamaha rbx170j
    washburn xb120
    which do you think is better?

2. Emprov

Emprov

Mar 19, 2003
    I think that either of those basses would work as long as they've been properly set up. If you're able to play them first, I'd spend a few minutes on each and buy the one that seems to be calling your name the loudest.

3. corinpills

corinpills

Nov 19, 2000
    Boston, MA
    A little practical advice, take it with a grain of salt. Ideally, you will progress on your beginner instrument to the point where you'll want to sell it and upgrade to a better instrument. Either that or you won't and you'll give up and want to sell it. The re-sell value on the two instruments you mentioned is very low. If you stick to a used Fender Mexican bass, you'll be able to re-sell it for just about what you paid for it and there are a lot of options for upgrading the instrument as you go along.

Best of luck to you.

4. +1

5. gttim

gttim

Dec 12, 2009
    Atlanta, GA
    +2

This what I did. There are some great deals on Ebay, and probably all over the place. People are pulling stuff out of closets all over and selling them in this economy. Buyers market. I picked up a MIM P and a MIM Deluxe Special P for stupid prices.

I love the Precisions. When I upgrade,it will be to a MIA P.

6. sweetcharlie454

sweetcharlie454

Apr 16, 2010
    I don't know exactly how fully your heart is set on those two basses, but i would fully recommend Ibanez's soundgear series. It was my first bass and i still have it today, for a more than fair price.

7. Emprov

Emprov

Mar 19, 2003
    Good point.

8. sweetcharlie454

sweetcharlie454

Apr 16, 2010
    I am a big fan of Mex-Fender basses, I've had no problems with my 5-string Jazz, got it for $250 with a gig bag....the only weak point is the electronics, not nearly as much "top end" as the Americans.

9. JBass1

JBass1

Dec 6, 2005
    NYC
    If you're not a Fender fan (like me) I'd recommend the Ibanez SR series. Fantastic beginning basses and you can find used ones cheap.

10. JBass1

JBass1

Dec 6, 2005
    NYC

Sorry I didn't see this...but yes - Ibanez SR (soundgear) is definitely one to check out

11. Livewire

Livewire Yahtzeeee

Nov 13, 2007
    Brooklyn, NY
    +1

My first bass was an Ibanez, it was a great bass to learn, practice, and beat up on. Sometimes I wish I still had it instead of the ex :meh:

12. XtheDeadPawn

XtheDeadPawn

May 24, 2008
    Texas
    I'd say get the RBX believe me I got one. PM me with any questions you have I'll be happy to help you.
    I've been playin' awhile now.

13. alirazz

alirazz

Jun 30, 2009
    Chambana, IL
    I have a semi-related question. I currently play an Ibanez Gsr 200 and since I'm having to move continuously between 2 different countries, I think it's time to get a new bass.

I'm looking for one in the $600-1000 range and it has to have a neck profile that's similar to the gsr 200 with a rosewood fretboard, any suggestions?