Beginner Bassist

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by thatrandomguy, Aug 1, 2013.

1. thatrandomguy

thatrandomguy

Aug 1, 2013
    I've played guitar for about a year now, but for a while I've wanted to get into bass. I stayed with guitar so i could learn more on it first, and now that I'm pretty comfortable with it, i had saved enough money to go and get a bass. I already love it, but my friend plays guitar also, so when I told him about getting it he started saying "You wasted your money, you can never hear the bass, it's not that important." I think he's just being ignorant, as I've always liked the bass.What do you guys think? (We're only 14, so that probably has a lot to do with it)

2. verycoolname

verycoolname

Jan 28, 2013
    Pittsburgh
    You're at the age where everyone thinks guitar is "cooler" and bass is "pointless", but I can promise you in a few years that very same friend will be begging you to play bass in his band.

3. Batmensch

Batmensch

Jul 4, 2010
    Media, PA.
    Your friend is full of it, pure and simple.

4. swrbass5

swrbass5 Gold Supporting Member

Have to agree with VeryCool- I switched to bass in high school, and have never had to search very hard for a project. Pick up a decent Jazz bass. It'll make that change easier - (smaller neck)

5. Adub311

Adub311

Jun 25, 2011
    Whittier, CA
    Buy Led Zeppelin II and give it to him.

6. JCheung

JCheung

Jan 25, 2013
    Herndon, VA
    Either your friend has never been to a proper live band show, particularly jazz and rock or only listens to music through crappy cheap ear buds that don't replicate well. Either way the above posters are correct, the bass guitar is extremely important in many bands and groups. Later on when guitarists are a dime a dozen, a talented bassist will be highly sought after.

7. JIO

JIO Connery... Sean Connery Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Jun 30, 2010
    The Mission SF/CA
    musician/artist/owner - Gildaxe
    I bought my first instrument mostly because I liked the way it looked. It was a bass. I've attempted to learn guitar over the years but it never stuck. I continue to love playing bass and I play and think like a bass player. You can usually hear the difference between a guitarist playing bass and a bass player. (not always, think of Ron Wood in this regard - great guitarist, great bass player). Just remember, there are way more guitarist than bass players - you will always be needed. Music is many faceted and a bassist always plays a part.

8. Teacher

Teacher

May 3, 2012
    Bass = sexy. The end.

9. This.

Or "Grand Funk" by Grand Funk Railroad.

10. darkstorm

darkstorm

Oct 13, 2009
    Depends whay kind of music you like. In prog rock, jazz, and some ahrd rock, the bass can be just as strong as guitar for its presence. Having decent listening system also makes a diff on wether you hear the bass or not.

11. seems like you are already inclined towards bass. You chose well..At your age it may seem like an overlooked instrument, but like other people have already echoed, you will truly realize its significance and awesomeness through the years as you develop your style and musical sensibility. I started out the same as you, with the same people in my ear telling me about how "boring" bass was and how I was somehow an inferior musician to them because "bass is easier than guitar", etc,etc..I too, doubted my choice for a time. 13 years later I realize that I stuck with an instrument that I still love and have developed a sense of groove and rhythm that most guitarists do not possess. It is something they will never really understand..whats important is that YOU understand it.

/rant....and good luck on your musical journey

12. NoShogun

NoShogun

Jul 15, 2013
    Cincinnati, OH
    Don't worry, brother. I played bass throughout highschool. Our school's Chapel services had a worship band and they always turned the bass so far down that nobody could hear it. Ultimately, no one at that age really respects bass, and mainstream radio/party music that most highschoolers like to listen to rarely features bass prominently.

That's going to change. You will find people who are more musically inclined who will welcome a bassist with open arms. Stick with the instrument, it's a whole bunch of fun and you can change your friend's mind and the minds of others by how you play!

13. jamersonburton

jamersonburton

Jul 22, 2011
    Blood sugar sex magik - rhcp. Nuff said.

14. Hues

Hues

Nov 27, 2012
    see Burn Notice
    Learn to play the tastiest piece you like...Play it for him.

If he doesn't appreciate it,..find someone cool to hang-out with.

Follow your bliss.:cool:

15. Malak the Mad

Malak the Mad Over the River and through the Looking Glass Supporting Member

I didn't realize how much the bass can take the lead until a friend of mine introduced me to RUSH…specifically, the album "Moving Pictures". Sadly, that was about five years after I tried my hand at guitar, couldn't get the hang of it and lost interest. Which leads me to a true, sad and sadly-true story;

When I expressed my initial interest to my mom (a drummer in an all-girl rock band) she told me, "Maybe you should try bass first, hon. It's got four strings instead of six, you don't have to learn chords at first, it's a good foundation if you want to try six-string later and most importantly…there's always a demand for a good bassist. Guitarists are a dime-a-dozen." But being in 5th Grade like I was, I obviously knew better. Guess how that turned out! :rollno:

Learning bass, and learning it well, can only serve you well. There are literally tons of bands out there who's bassist is a frustrated guitarist who, when his band said, "Ah crap, we need a bassist!" he sighed (probably quite heavily), raised his hand and said, "Ok fine…I'll be the bassist."

"Pure" bassists are a rare breed to be cherished. :bassist:

16. Blackhawks55

Blackhawks55

Jul 21, 2013
    Long live Rush Malak. Such fun stuff to play on the Bass.. very tricky stuff though. Ged never seems to write easy bass lines LOL

17. Wallace320

Wallace320 Commercial User

Mar 19, 2012
    Milan, Italy
    Then I switched to bass because... I wanted to play live... and to do that, instead of Musician Institute essays, you need
    a band

And... what bands need (drumroll here)?!
    They need bass players!

Here I am: after 69 basses (and countin') I'm the walkin' (bass:)) menace of every guitar player in bands I play...

I'm no professional, and they're not. They just want me to play and record and gig with all of them (friends) 'cause a decent, reliable bassist's already the dealmaker/breaker of every respectable band out there

Cheers,
    Wallace

18. AshdownMad

AshdownMad

Apr 19, 2011
    Suffolk, UK
    This!

Also, Bassists always get the girls! We have stronger hands :cool:

19. ronin614

ronin614

May 15, 2008
    New York
    A few more for your buddy to listen to...
    Level 42
    The Who
    Duran Duran
    The Cure
    ANYTHING that Donald "Duck" Dunn was a part of (Even the Blues Brothers)
    Any classic Motown
    Muse
    Iron Maiden
    Rush
    Metallica
    U2
    A lot of stuff by Prince and Lenny Kravitz

And I DEFINITELY second Led Zeppelin and the Chili Peppers

20. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jun 20, 2021