1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Beginner Bassist

Discussion in 'General Instruction [BG]' started by MooCowMan, Mar 11, 2008.

1. Hi, I'm Seth. I'm 17 years old and I have a huge love for music, and always wanted to put that love into an instrument. I have always loved bass, I've played a few of my friends and I loved playing It. Unfortunately I have never been able to afford one for myself. I'll be getting enough money soon enough though to get one thankfully. I know I'll be learning a little late since a lot of people learn at a young age. I am still very willing to give part of my life to bass though. Some of my favorite bassists are Mel Schacher, Eric Judy, Chris Wolstenholm, Carlos D, and Justin Smith of Psychoactive (Not sure any of you would know who he is.. Psychoactive is pretty underground).

I need help picking out a good first bass. So I thought I'd ask some experienced players. I want it to be cheap for a first bass ($150-$250). I don't know whether to pick a 4 string or 5 string. I don't want to learn with a pick (I know a few people who play with a pick.. I think its kinda wierd). I also would like to know what would be a good amp to buy.

I am really excited to learn finally. I plan on getting lessons and buying a few books which I would also like suggestions for. I have always wanted to just put my love for music into an instrument and I finally get to.

All of this is much will be much appreciated and thank you in advance haha.

2. Wrong forum I'd say and also you will get divergent replies to your second paragraph all of which will be valid.

Lot's of info in the Basses and Amps sections if you do a search.

Good luck!

3. skeptikal

skeptikal

Jan 24, 2008
    Fort Wayne, IN
    I'm 21 and just picked up a bass. Granted I played guitar from 14-16 but havent played an instrument since.

I have been playing < 2 months and have caught on quite quick. I went about learning the notes and where they were on the board and scales, and now I'm playin with a couple really really great guitarists and an amazing drummer just learning to jam along with what they are playing. Quite fun.

4. shatterd

shatterd

Feb 24, 2008
    If you are on a tight budget, you might want to check out some of the pawn shops for used gear...or check ebay or craigslist. Another resource for good cheap gear is rondomusic.net.

For lessons, get a good teacher, and also check out workshoplive.com ....it's an incredible online resource. They have a great library of bass lessons in video with on screen tab/notation. There is a small monthly fee to access their material. I think this is far better than any books I have seen, and I highly recommend if you can afford the subscription fee to the site.

5. chasfr

chasfr

Jan 4, 2005
    For an inexpensive starter instrument, rondomusic.net is a good place to check out. I'm very happy with my SJB-62 short scale. There's a huge megathread about 'em here on the board--search for "Essex" in the Basses forum. They'd be right in your price range.

Welcome, and have fun!
    Chas

6. Thanks for the replies, I've been looking around at equipment. When i go to guitar center I'm going to try out some basses. Again thanks for the help. :)

7. I picked up bass last year when I was 24. I don't think there's a proper age to enjoy an instrument. Learning young has its advantages, and so when learning as an older person. Just look ahead!

Go for a cheap bass below your means. The music should come from you, not from the bass. Make it a beginner's challenge to create good music with what you have (bass). I would recommend getting a used item, not brand new. Focus on the feel, and make sure it is comfortable. It's better to solve tone problems than injuries resulting from an uncomfortable bass guitar.

8. jimmy rocket

jimmy rocket

Jan 24, 2008
    Ayden, NC
    Check out an OLP MM2 if you can find one. That's a lot of bass for a little money. If I were starting out again, that's what I'd buy.