Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Beginner Bassist

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by gcfi2000, Apr 3, 2003.

1. gcfi2000

gcfi2000

Mar 29, 2003
    I am a Beginner Bassist who is left handed and I am looking for an afforadable bass to learn on. I have heard that the best bass to learn on is either a Godin or Essex. I look forward to any help and information on this matter. Thank you

2. BoiNtC

BoiNtC

Nov 25, 2002
    NYC, USA
    How much are you willing to spend? I personally am a Fender man :) Leo Fender pieced together many a bass and you can't go wrong with em :D :bassist:

3. gcfi2000

gcfi2000

Mar 29, 2003
    Through talking to people and also looking around and pricing different places I would be willing to pay $100 - $200.

4. i would say an essex jazz bass...better tonal range than a precision. i think you could get an essex jazz for around $130?

5. BoiNtC

BoiNtC

Nov 25, 2002
    NYC, USA
  6. christle

christle Supporting Member

Jan 26, 2002
    Winnipeg, MB
    At that price point you should look at Essex or MIM Fenders. Don't ignore Squires either. Some of them are quite good, especially the Indonesian models (P-Bass Special). Make sure you play a few and see how they feel to you.

Lefty's are generally more expensive so the Essex may be your best value. Squire makes a few left handed models as do Fender. The MIM lefty's go for about $50 - $75 more per bass.

Good luck.