beginner books

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by Hookha, Jan 7, 2006.

1. Hookha

Nov 6, 2005
    i want to start learn build
    i want to learn the base of build instrument
    what the best book that you can offer my? (beginner)
    there some book that guide you how to build bass guitar?
    or the books are for guitar and bass together?
    i need a good and effective book that well show me the best way to build instrument! ( if there a book with picture it well be good)
    and if you have more books that help me to learn more it well be nice!

and little question
    in these books...the writter say what wood,general part ,electronic parts and tool i most to buy?
  2. mheintz

Nov 18, 2004
    Do a search. This topic comes up quite often. Two books: Make Your Own Electric Guitar by Melvyn Hiscock and Building Electric Guitars by Martin Koch.

They have all the information that you need to get started. Being a book learner myself, I must warn you that the only way to really learn is to jump in and start working with wood. I haven't and the books don't remedy my ignorance.

By the way, I highly recommend checking out the following thread at tappistry. A member by the name of Brenda has documented her step by step building of a tap guitar. Very interesting and informative:
  3. callmeMrThumbs

callmeMrThumbs Guest

Oct 6, 2005
    Omaha, NE
    I have a book called, "Make Your Own Electric Guitar & Bass" by Dennis Waring and David Raymond. It has just about everything you need to know to make a basic bass guitar build. Any other questions you have, TB can answer!

4. Luke Sheridan

Luke Sheridan Commercial User

Dec 30, 2004
    Yonkers, NY
    I build guitars and sell them. Strings, too
    I recommend Koch's book. Some of the others just say, attach part a to part b. But I've found Koch's to tell you why part a goes to part b and how you can build a tool to make it easier.
  5. Hookha

Nov 6, 2005
    thanks to all of you!
    ok..i know what book i need to buy
    what the necessary tools that i need for the beginning?
    i dont know!
    and what the best place to buy them?

and in the books....the author leading you what to do?
    what wood to buy , what tool to use,and etc
    the book is in step by step?
    (cut that,engrav that and etc!)

hope you understood me!