Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Beginner bow.

Discussion in 'Bows and Rosin [DB]' started by StingRay5guy, Nov 2, 2004.

1. StingRay5guy

StingRay5guy Guest

Oct 14, 2004
    Ok. I have an Engelhardt Supreme for my first upright but I don't know what kind of bow to get. Any suggestions would be greatly apprectiated.

2. hdiddy

hdiddy Official Forum Flunkee Supporting Member

Mar 16, 2004
    San Francisco, CA
  3. Thomguy

Thomguy

Oct 15, 2001
    New York, USA
    Glasser has a new bow called the X-bow. Thery're the only ones making an entry-level-priced graphite bow with an ebony frog in both German and French styles. The List price is under $250 and is a great value for the dollar.

4. dont get a Glasser Fiberglass bow, way too heavy and are of cheap quality. Look on Ebay, i bought a nice Wooden bow on Ebay that i'd say is of value now for 150 brand new that i got for 45 dollars and its extremely light and works really well. and remember with a wooden bow the value goes up as the years go by with more and more fiberglass bows being brought into circulation that a wooden bow can become a hot commodity.

5. Sorry to burst your bubble, but $45 bows are not going to increase in value any time soon. I don't think many bows at all actually go up in value unless maybe they are particularly good. After all, there is no advantage at all to an old bow versus a brand new one.

Buying a bow you've never played is a bad idea; as is going super cheap. Your bow is every bit as important as you bass, and how much did you spend on that? A bad bow is just going to be frustrating and hinder your learning because you'll spend more time trying to get it to simply work when you could be learning to actually play.

6. Thomguy

Thomguy

Oct 15, 2001
    New York, USA
    Just to re-iterate, the Glasser X-bow I mentioned is not fiberglass or a fiberglass composite, it’s a new graphite bow just recently released. There are and have been similar bows made from the same materials overseas at much higher prices. (list $450-$800) It’s not a clunky, heavy novice bow that might hinder technique, etc.

I thought it might be a good suggestion for a beginner bow as there certainly is good value based of what you get for the money. Especially since it’s not going to warp or have any of the other potential problems that a wood bow might have. They should be available in stores so you should be able to play one first which is indeed a good idea.

7. Do you have a link for this bow? My present bow is kinda heavy, came with my bass as package deal and some times it catches the bass top piece near the middle f hole bout on the right. I'm guessing i need a lighter bow and better technique.

8. no i paid 45 dollars for it since it was ebay, My mother who is a Cellist has thoroughly looked at the bow and played with it on the bass that i own and she said if it was to sell in a catolig it'd sell for about 150 dollars.