1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Beginner Digital Keyboard; recommendations?

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by aarono, Nov 26, 2010.

1. aarono

aarono

Feb 14, 2006
    Minnesota
    I'm thinking about purchasing a digital keyboard to get started into piano. I'd like to spend less than $600 and I'm having trouble finding a piano that really sticks out as the leader at this price range.

I found the Casio Privia PX-130 for $460 on Amazon and I've read good reviews but I've also read things like the hammer action on the keys wears out quickly, etc. leading the keys to be jiggly.

Does anyone here have any recommendations for a good starter keyboard that will give me some decent mileage?

2. I've been using a 5 octave I think that is 61 keys Yamaha that cost me $300 years ago. No it does not have everything a $600 keyboard will, but the keys feel good for a digital and they do not have an annoying click sound when pressed. More than enough stored backing tracks etc.

I would not worry about something wearing out, I've not had that problem. Go to your music store and try everything in your price range.

Have fun.

3. I think yamaha is the way to go. . .well Kurzweil is the way to go, but going to be out of your price range. :D it's been a while since I looked at whats current, but yamaha's "S" synth was a killer deal. I would also recommend used for that $$ is worth considering...

I just replaced my controller w/ a cheapie M-audio one and it sucks. I feel I'm going to break it in half at any given moment.

Do you need a sequencer, sampler etc? Or just looking for sounds and keys?

4. aarono

aarono

Feb 14, 2006
    Minnesota
    im mainly just looking for a keyboard, something quite simple. i tried a few at guitar center but no employees could play so it was me just listening to some notes i played in different effects.

There were a couple different pianos under 600 there but a few looked/sounded like kmart specials.

The privia stuck out at it was closest to my price ceiling and wasnt cluttered with tons of knobs and screens.

5. Try and get to something beyond a "Guitar Center" find a music store that has some 88 key pianos on the floor. They will have keyboards also and I bet someone that knows how to play both.