Beginner drum video suggestions

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by baba, Sep 23, 2002.

1. baba

baba Supporting Member

Jan 22, 2002
    3rd stone from the sun
    I have a new drum set and along with private lessons I was thinking a video could help. I'm a complete beginner so I'm looking for a good beginner video. I feel like once I can get some basic beats and pocket grooves in place I'll be off to the races. Any suggestions?
  2. dude read the sign it says: Talk Bass:rolleyes: ;)
  3. baba

baba Supporting Member

Jan 22, 2002
    3rd stone from the sun
    Dude, read what the forum is....miscellaneous.:rolleyes:
  4. As a complete beginner, just work with your teacher for now. A teacher sitting next to you will get you started much better than a video will. Ask your teacher what they might recommend.

Remember your posture, practice in front of a mirror if you can. Bad posture will really mess up your time.

PS - Remember to record yourself as much as possible. It's brutal, but it will get you down the road much faster.
  5. baba

baba Supporting Member

Jan 22, 2002
    3rd stone from the sun
    Thanks for the tips Drummer Dude! I knew there was a drummer in here somewhere. After all, we work hand in hand.
  6. yeah miscellanous bass topics:rolleyes: :D

nah seriously sorry man i couldnt resist. but off topic would have been better. off the topic of bass. and im a drummer too actualy, but i didn't know of any videos sorry.

7. baba

baba Supporting Member

Jan 22, 2002
    3rd stone from the sun
    Not to beat a dead horse lemonpillow, but Miscellaneous is actually for misc music related topics. That's why you see posts for keyboards, recorders, didgeridoos (sp?), etc. If I posted in Off Topic it would have been moved here.
  8. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

You are correct, babadingding.

lemonpillow, you need to chill out. This is the correct Forum for this thread. Miscellaneous is for any musical discussion which does not fit into any of the other Forums.

That includes stuff like guitar, theremin, oboe, didgeridoo and even drums.
  9. i was mistaken. sorry to come off the wrong way also. i guess i was in a quick to jump on people mood.
    so why dont we just be pals and go get a beer or something:D
  10. D. Funkalicious

D. Funkalicious

Sep 22, 2002
    I agree with Drummer Dude. A video can't see what you're doing, and more importantly, what you're doing wrong. This becomes really important as far as stick grip in concerned. In fact, what you should probably invest in is a good book of drum rudiments. Yeah, they're boring as hell, but they also teach great things about rythym and stick control, not to mention the fact that the rudiments themselves are somewhat self-explanitory. Good luck, and watch out for carpal tunnel!;)
  11. Try this one "Getting Started on Drums" featuring Tommy Igoe. It's on DVD, over two hours long, but there is a menu so you can plug into any part. Covers unpacking and setting up of drums; how to choose, hold and use drum sticks; how to use the snare, bass, pedals, toms, high-Hat, cymbals. Has grooves you can play immediately, drum fills, play alongs............................ It's not boring either. Try finding it online at "Musicians Friend" or "zZounds". It doesn't beat a personal instructor, but for a video, this is good.