Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Beginner from Guitar -> Bass

Discussion in 'Ask Mike Watt [Archived]' started by Wpspace, Dec 14, 2001.

1. Wpspace

Wpspace

Dec 14, 2001
    Charleston
    Hey! Ive just recently learned how to play the guitar (about 4-6 months) but because of my background in music i picked it up rather easily. I had originally wanted to play the bass but everyone convinced my to learn acoustic guitar first stating that it would be easy to change over to electric then bass. Is this true? Ive also just recently bought a bass bc i couldnt wait any longer. I was wondering if anyone could give me some advice or little hints to learning it. Also, if anyone knows any good TAB sites for classic rock (eg- Cream, Jimi Hendrix, Lynyrd Skynyrd, Beatles, etc.) would you please let me know? If anyone has anyother info they wouldnt mind sharing, my email is wpspace@aol.com Thanks so much!!!

2. watt

watt TalkBass Pro Supporting Member

hi,

sure, learning guitar is good for a bass cat since you have to write parts for guitarists all the time and it's good to know their machine too. as for tips, listen to a lot of different music and how the bass fits in. don't get stuck in one genre. listen to a lot of james jamerson on those old motown records - there's licks there you can use in all kinds of music and he really knew how to makes things move. the chords aren't that involved either, lots of root notes. the main thing about a good bass part is all about feel - not the complexity of the lick. I don't know much about tabs cuz I check out bass lines by listening to them and playing along w/the tune.

on bass, watt